Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Lower Back Flexibility

Guest ballet princess

Guest ballet princess

How can i improve my lower back flexibility and strength? I know they are very important for arabesques, so I want to improve it as much as i can.

:P

Guest jane

I asked my teacher for some lower-back-strength excercises. She showed me one, where you lie on your front on the floor, with your arms and legs spread out as if you are in the middle of a starjump. Then gently lift both you legs and arms off the floor a few centimetres, hold it for a couple of seconds, and then put them down again. Then you do it again using right arm and left leg, then left arm and right leg. I think she said to do ten.

What do the teachers think of this excercise?

:P

That's OK as a back isolation. And ten reps are about enough. The only problem I see with it is that it might reinforce a phony arabesque position from having the legs spread apart - you know the one I mean - the "alabesque"? <_<

Another lie-on-the-floor exercise is one where you simply lie face down with the legs together and the arms drawn up with the hands under your face. Then push up onto your elbows. This is actually a stretch for the abdominals. Without a flexible front, a strong back won't take you as far.

Another goody is to stand facing the barre, and grasp it with both hands. Bend all the way forward, then when you're down there, tendu back. Lift the foot that's in tendu to a low arabesque, then come up, holding the arabesque where it is. It's tougher than it sounds. Do several reps - five is good to start - and keep raising the leg on each rep.

I was thinking, you know barre stretch? Well if you do one similar to mine (in class) there is a part where we switch to arabesque. Usually we hold onto the barre with one hand and slowly go down to stretch the standing leg. I have lately taken both hands off the barre and put my arms in fifth and slowly lowered. It's a little hard to keep balance at first, but it works the back (especially coming back up!!! ;) )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Terin

I'm not sure how helpful this would be, but there is a yoga position called The Swan. You start lying on our your stomach , then arch back and try to touch your head to your feet (you are supposed to bring your feet up near your head also). Hope this helps! :devil: