Ballet Talk for Dancers

wrists... :(

Guest ScottieGDE13

Guest ScottieGDE13

I have a horrible habit. My wrists aren't really flappy (They probably are a little bit but I have more control over it now than in previous years) but they bend, breaking my line. Specifically my left wrist. The right will not break very often but I have a break in my left more frequently (I know this only because my teacher is frequently yelling "Watch your left wrist!" wink.gif )

And sometimes it will do this other weird thing that I'll try to explain... if you imagine a hand in arabesque and then see it cock off to the right... that's what I do. The big problem is, often I have no idea I'm doing it. And it's only in movements where the arms are in allonge or transitional movements. Like if I take my arms from second to fifth en avant, as they move instead of my hand staying line with my arm it will bend backwards, with the inside of my wrist leading (I hope that makes sense). Anyway, my point is, I generally do not have droopy wrists, as some do, in rounded arm positions like high fifth or second and it mainly comes out when I'm doing a hard step like consecutive releves or a difficult jump, etc. So I'm thinking maybe it's a tension point and to ATTEMPT to sum this up I was wondering if there were any ideas to help solve this problem. It's seriously irritating me (and my teacher... rolleyes.gif ) and I'm about to attach a splint to my hand to at least help me be aware but I'm afraid that the only real solution is to constantly think about it and do some serious port de bras practice, but perhaps there are additional ideas or suggestions?

OK, Scottie, let me try this again - I made a long involved response, then hit the wrong key and sent the whole thing to cyberlimbo.

Suffice it to say - I used to have the flippy wrist problem, and on guys it looks like literal Hell! Pay close attention to your very center, that is, your solar plexus, and feel as if your energy all radiates from there. That will go a long way toward combating the broken wrists. Also, feeling the arms all the way from the neck makes a big difference toward providing you with a pleasing line down to the ends of your fingertips. This is just a gentle hint. There are starker terms for it, just try thinking about those for the meantime, and let us know what works out - I bet you stop breaking your left wrist! smile.gif

Guest ScottieGDE13

Thanks Major Mel! I'm going back to the studio tomorrow after a week off to work some so I'll definitely be thinking about it and I'll let you know in the future how it's working. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this frustration!