Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tired Of Forced Turnout

sapphirenite

Guest Giselle83

I'm so tired of the forced turnout too!!! Mine seems to be basically little over 90 degrees...I started ballet when I was 15. I can feel some progress in my leg muscles but I'm fast getting bad habits in my ankles. As I have had injuries in both knees I'm very careful with them. Now my ankles have gotten so loose especially from pointe work, I do the opposite to sickling...if u know what I mean. it makes ankles look nice but I think it's very unhealthy...any opinions about this....?

What I wonder is that how can I know, when I'm not pushing my rotation enough and like 'giving up too easily' or when I'm trying too hard? When I make a simple releve from 1st position...I can quite never land back to the same position...even if I stood in bad 100 degrees position...:-( But I think during the last year, I have found some new muscles and holding my leg a la seconde seems so much easier! (as long as I'm not on demi-pointe ehehe) I feel like I finally understood how far over the supporting foot I actually gotta stand!

dance on!

thanks all for answering to my query. i'm not too sure i understand fully everything, but i'll try :P

that sentence was given by my ballet teacher, also my anatomy teacher. and yes, it was given in explanation for why i should push my 100-degree turnout so that i can get my (at least) 160-degree turnout. i'm been doing that, but it's been causing a lot of problems on my posture. it's difficult trying to hold a good posture and a forced turnout at the same time. B)

Mr. Johnson, grace, thank you! I've (of course) studied a lot of anatomy for my MD, but being a researcher rather than a practicing physician, I had forgotten a lot - then I started ballet and now I'm trying to re-teach myself most of it and then some. B)