Ballet Talk for Dancers

Excercises

Guest naturaldanca

Guest naturaldanca

Hey everybody! My friend told me about not posting anything about weight on the boards, but I think this is O.K. I'm in good shape but I have toosh, bum, etc. tongue.gif and I was wondering if anybody had any excerices for it!

Hi, naturaldanca, and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forums here at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online!

Firstoff, we don't talk about weight, because it always opens up the volume called "A Child's Garden of Weeds" when it comes to advice, even posted with the best of intentions. Second, if you're fighting genetics, there's not a lot can be done for parts of the body that seem outsize. Look at your relatives - are they a bit broad in the beam back there? If so, you could be on the losing side of the proposition.

Generally, though, bulgy bottoms can be made even worse by poor alignment while working, and even by wearing shoes that are too heavy! eek.gif Usually hamstring stretches will help lengthen the muscles, but if it's a fat or water distribution situation, nothing much is going to do much good. Check the archives under "Stretches and Exercise" for a whole bunch of things good for lengthening the gluteal muscles. Just use the dropdown window marked "Hop To" at the foot of this page and look for "hamstrings" - for all references to them, run a search on that word.

Guest naturaldanca

Thanx! And I agree w/ the weight discussions, some of the advice is WAY not correct! Anywayz, my family is 1/2 & 1/2...some twigs and some not skinny.