Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

I want to take more classes

Guest dancer04

Guest dancer04

I will be a college freshman next year. I am staying at home because the college of my choice is where I dance now but day classes with a different teacher. I will get either ballet or pointe for an hour and a half every day and tuesday and thursday have either related dance forms or variations or partnering. Monday, Wednesday, Friday I will have rehearsals. The evening classes which I have taken for years would not conflict with my college classes at all and would like to take them. I would prefer to continue taking my normal 6 ballet a week plus two related classes. That would be no more than 2 classes a day on occasion 3 per day. But, I would have ample resting time between since I get done with college at 3:30 most days and my evening classes would begin at around 6 with the exception of tuesdays and wednesdays which they start at 4:15. Mr problem is my parents will only pay for me to take Monday, Thursday, and Saturday evening classes plus my related which are only half an hour. They don't think that I will be able to keep up with my homework if I take all of those classes. But, I don't feel like I will improve as much by only taking 1 class a day because it seems that I really can apply the correction given in the first class in the second class, if that makes any sense. I know I can keep up with my homework as I did last year with even more HS classes. I will only have 3 academic classes next year if that makes any difference. How can I convince my parents is my question.

• Administrators

Dancer04, I have no idea how to convince your parents, as I'm not sure you have convinced me. I think you might be underestimating the amount of work to those classes in college! Why not start, do the college program and whatever else your parents are willing to do, and see how it goes. If you find you have plenty of time to do more classes and still maintain all the college work, then talk to your parents. :)