Ballet Talk for Dancers

Padding.... what else does it help?

Guest Christina_ballerina

Guest Christina_ballerina

Can pointe shoe padding help with anything besides pain? Like balance maybe? I do not currently use padding. The only time I had horrible pain was the first couple of months I was on pointe. I think I only got 2 or 3 blisters. I still have a little pain, but nothing big. I don't get blisters or bruises. Could the padding help me? Or is better to not use padding so you'll be stronger?

Christina, the ballerina

In a properly fitted pointe shoe, there should be no need for so much padding that it acts as a sort of additional support. There simply won't be any room for it! Padding is there to do one thing (well, two, but they're related) - first, to alleviate compression pain, and second, to reduce skin injuries from not-quite-perfectly fitted shoes. Taping of the foot for additional support is sometimes done, but if you need that, and you can't get it from a shoe, maybe you shouldn't be on pointe. But also, ballet is not medieval monasticism - one does not need to "mortify the flesh" by allowing a painful condition to continue. Use padding by all means, if you have pain!

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]