Ballet Talk for Dancers

To Miss Victoria or Mjr. Mel

Guest Crystette

Guest Crystette

Hi. I just found out today that I am moving near Toledo, Ohio. I don't want to stop dancing and I need to find a new dance studio. I was wondering if either of you know of any good places out there. I take ballet, tap, and jazz. I'm probably leaving Pennsylvania at the end of June so I wanted to find a studio before I move so I can take during the summer also.

Thanks for your help :),

Crystal-Cai

P.S. I didn't know if I should put this here or on the buddy board. I thought if I put it here you would find it faster. Move it if need be. ;)

• Administrators

Crystal, I checked Dance Mag. and there is nothing there for Toledo, so we may have to do a little networking here and find someone from there who can tell us about Toledo schools. We will find one for you, never fear! :)

Guest Crystette

Mel or Victoria have you ever heard of Darryl Jervis School in Toledo or The Dance Academy in Maumee, Ohio?

I found a dancewear supplier out there and they gave me those two names for possible schools.

Crystal-Cai

• Administrators

I have not heard of them, Crystal, but then I don't know much about the schools in Ohio outside of Cleveland Ballet, Ballet Met, and Cincinnati Ballet. I did find out that Bowling Green University is in that area, so a call to them might get you some information on schools there.

I've heard of the Jervis school, but that's it. I have no other information than just the name - I've never seen any of their dancers. But there must be ballet in Toledo - after all, who can forget their local classic, "Mudhen Lake"? ;)

Guest Crystette

I just found another school called Waterville School of Dance. Have you heard of this one? It's run by Keri Hurney.

I'm not at all familiar, Crystal, but I think Ms. Leigh's suggestion of checking with Bowling Green University is probably your best bet.

Guest Tiffani

Hi, I am having the same problem except that I am moving to Wichita, Kansas. I do not know of any studios there. I called the local dance store and told me of 3. They are Rogers' Ballet and they said that Sharon Rogers is the Director, and Metropolitan Ballet of Wichita and Nancy Hervey is the director, Kansas Dance Academy and Diane Gans is the director. Has anyone heard of any of these places or these people? I really want the best place they offer. If anyone can tell me about any of these places I would be very grateful.Thank you, Tiffani

• Administrators

Hi Tiffani, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!

I'm not sure about the 3 schools you listed, but there is a dance department at the U. of Kansas at Wichita and they should be able to give you a recommendation. Mel just told me that he thinks he has heard of the Metropolitan Ballet of Wichita, and that sounds vaguely familiar to me too.

The best thing to do in a new city is to visit all of them, watch classes, and decide for yourself which is the best for you! Look at their most advanced dancers, inquire if any of their graduates are now professional, and observe the quality of teaching, discipline, attitude, and ability of the students.

Guest Tiffani

Thank you very much Ms. Leigh. I went and talked to Rogers Ballet and watched a class there. I am going to start taking classes there Tuesday. The reason I chose there is because the studio feeds into a college and the college has a dance department that I would like to get into. The advanced dancers there were much better than anywhere else I watched and they looked like they were getting the most out of it. I did find out that a few people have gone professional there and one became a Radio City Rockette. That helped my decision also. Thank you for the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Crystette

Bumping this up.

I really need anyone's help in finding a studio in or near Toledo, Ohio. If ANYone has ANY info please post it so I don't get behind.

Thanks

Guest balletqueen14

Have you tried looking in the schools section of www.danceart.com ? I don't know exactly what cities are close to Toledo. You can also try typing "dance schools" in the yellow pages of big search engines like Yahoo, Msn, etc. I hope this helped.

• Administrators

Have you called Bowling Green University yet, Crystette? I'm sorry we have not had any posters from Ohio who know about this area. Finding a school from a search engine or phone book will not really tell you anything about the school, so it's always best to get a recommendation from someone who knows the type and quality of the local schools. The University is the only place I can think of that might know, unless maybe someone at Ballet Met or Cincinnati Ballet could help you.

One other idea. Ohio is in the Northeast Region for the Regional Ballet Association. You might try contacting them. They would know for sure if there is a member school there.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest Crystette

Miss Victoria,

Do you have site I could go to or a number I could call. I tried searching the net and I didn't come up with anything.

I called the University but they are going to call me back.

Thanks for all of your help. :)