Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DreamyEyes

For Ms. Leigh and/or Mr. Mel

Guest DreamyEyes

I'll try to make this as short and to the point as possible!

There is a Classical Ballet Training Program that has come to my area via the performing arts center close to where I live. The program will be run and mostly taught by Haydee Gutierrez. From her previous training and the fact that some of her students have gone on to some of the best companies in the world this is a serious ballet school and one I would love to go to. Auditions are required and she is accepting students from the ages 7-18. Ok..so heres my question, should I audition? I'm 18 now and have only had two years of training at a recreational dance studio from the ages 15-17. So my technique is lacking..esp since I've not been dancing for a year. I can understand how students around the age of 7 or a little older could be accepted without previous training, but not 18. Am I wrong? I have had previous training, but it wasn't very good. What do you both think? I'm not looking to become a professional...I just want to be the best dancer I can be and get the best training possible if I'm going to spend money and a lot of time into it. I guess going to the audition can't hurt, but I would still really like your input. I'll put a link of the website that discusses the program. Its short and to the point. Maybe it will better help you answer my questions :)

Thanks for your time,

Dreamy Eyes

]Classical Ballet training

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: DreamyEyes ]

Victoria Leigh

Hello Dreamy Eyes, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!

Your questions are valid, but I just checked the website, and it does say there that no previous training is required. I find that a bit unusual in terms of teens, but it does not specify that that statement applies only to the 7 year olds. I would be rather surprised if they accepted an 18 year old with your very limited training background, but then you really have nothing to lose by trying. As the old but true cliche goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"!

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest DreamyEyes

Thanks for the welcome :) Do you by any chance know of any serious ballet schools in Tampa, FL? I've been searching through the yellow pages, but I don't know which ones are serious or recreational. And even if I do find one it will have to either A)have classes for adult or teen beginners or B)allow me to take class with students younger than my age and work my way up. I thought I would be ok not dancing anymore, but I'm pretty miserable :) So, now I'm searching for a school to go to, but its tough.

Victoria Leigh

I know a good school in the Bradenton area, which is not too far from Tampa. Will try to find out the exact name and location of the school for you. It is run by Diane Partington.

Victoria Leigh

Okay Dreamy Eyes, I've got the name and address of the school I was talking about. It's Diane Partington School of Classical Ballet, 8219 US Highway 301, N. Parrish, FL 34219. The phone # is 941-776-3696. Hope this helps!