Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flex-i-ble24168

demi plie

Guest Flex-i-ble24168

ok,

in first position when I do a demi plie, I am being told to make sure the me knees are over my toes. Mine just don't seem to go over and they always go in front, but when I do a grande plie they go right over. I tried doing the "frog" stretch and some straddle stretches but that doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone have any suggestions? If so I'd be happy to hear them! thank you! very much.

P.s I looked at the archrives and i couldn't find anything. So I am sorry maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but if possible just please help me out with this! thank you!

Victoria Leigh

Okay, Laura, I'm not sure what is happening here, but I'll tell you what I think it is. If you can turn out enough to have your knees over your toes in a grand plié, then I think you are simply not using your placement correctly and engaging your rotator muscles when you do demi plié. It sounds like you might be "going down", instead of resisting up as you bend your knees. If you did not have good rotation, then the knees would not open all the way in the grand plié, or, if they did, they would not stay that way as you come up. What happens on the way up from a grand, as you place the heels down? Do the knees roll in, or do they hold the rotation?

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest Nadezhda

I have a similar problem. :) When I come up from grand plie my knees tend to close into a more open position than the one I began demi plie from. But what makes it strange is that I can use my rotation better in plies than on a straight leg. :P Does this sound "normal"?

Victoria Leigh

Yes, it's not unusual to be able to open more at the bottom of the grand plié, but the problem is not to roll inward on the feet and then not to let the knees go forward on the way up. :) When the heels come up it allows you to push further back with the inner thigh muscles, so what you have to work for is being able to maintain that when you straighten up :P

Guest Nadezhda

I do not roll inward - that is a problem I had before and now I take special attention not to roll anywhere in plies.

And another question. If I do a demi plie in a very small second I can push my knees so that they're in line with my big toe (feet not rolling). Now, is there a reasonable chance I will get (with practice, stretching AND strengthening my rotators) to do this also in a perfect first (feet turned out to maximum)?

P.S. I am working from a "loosened" first now, as my rotation is not perfect (yet). :)

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Nadezhda ]

Victoria Leigh

Nadezhda, first you need to try to get your knees in line with the second and third toe, not the big toe. As to whether you can achieve a perfect first position or not, I really do not know. Some people never do, but as long as you are using your own maximum rotation, and working for better, that is all you can do. :)

Guest hesterlover1

I have always had a lot of trouble with using my turnout and I used to have a lot of trouble holding the turnout as I came out of a grand plié into a demi, and then straightened my legs--my knees always rolled in at the end. What I think about is holding the turnout in the seat, and pushing forward in the seat and back at the knees as I come up, and it has helped a lot--plus, the more I do it right, the easier it is to do correctly because I'm building up the strength! HTH. :)

Guest Flex-i-ble24168

I don't think I'm rolling in, but I know it is only when I come up from the grande plie that my knees come farther foward. How do you build up the strength to keep your knees there the whole time or is it that I am just doing something wrong? Do you understand what I mean?

Victoria Leigh

I would like to preface this with saying that I have worked with a number of dancers who cannot do a decent grand plié at all and have still managed to become very good classical dancers. :eek: Some people simply do not have enough rotation to be able to get their knees all the way out without forcing it too far and losing it on the way up. They try very hard, of course, but sometimes it just isn't there. So, what do you do? If it were up to me I would eliminate grand plié except for second position! :eek: However, since one still needs to do them in most classes, including auditions, that is not practical. So, we just keep trying, and I try to prevent them from forcing it to the point where they will get injured.

Guest Flex-i-ble24168

O.K Thank you very much Ms. Leigh!

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Flex-i-ble24168 ]