Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ashlee

Technique

Guest Ashlee

Does ne 1 know the difference between the BAlanchine method and Russian method? :confused:

Mel Johnson

Welcome, SABgurl, to the Young Dancers' forum here on Ballet Talk at Ballet Alert! Online. I've deleted the other repeat of this post on Ballet History, so all answers can come here.

One thing I wish you would observe, though, is that we don't use cybershorthand like "ne 1" for "anyone" on these boards because many of our readers do not speak English as a first language, and for good reason, as they live in Slovenia, Singapore, France and such like and may not understand the American idiom.

Balanchine and Vaganova (Russian School) spring from the same beginnings, the syllabus of the Imperial Russian Ballet School in St. Petersburg, Russia, but they both went in different directions with their development.

Balanchine is more a style than a technique, (for one thing, it doesn't have different names for steps and actions) but there are certain technical things that can be seen in a Balanchine class that won't be seen anywhere else. For instance, the cutting of the front in rond de jambe à terre en dehors and the cutting of the back in en dedans is distinctively Balanchine. For awhile, the Balanchine battement frappé was made with a stronger "strike" on the floor than in most other schools. It has since softened back up again. There is a distinct "IN" accent in rond de jambe en l'air en dehors and an "OUT" accent on the ones en dedans. Balanchine pirouettes en dehors are distinctive in that they use a straight back leg in the preparation and a straight, sometimes flat, front arm.

Those are a few things - I was trained that way, basically, but was also trained to be adaptable, too!

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]