Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lesy

Julliard

Guest Lesy

I've heard about Julliard but don't know much about it? How young can you start going there? Is it a good place to go? I just want to know your opinion on it.

PrimaBallerina01

I'm not sure about the age limit at Julliard, but I know that Jessica Simpson's(she a US pop singer) little sister Ashlee went there for dance when she was 11. Anyways, the son of one of my mother's best friends went there when he was 14 for piano. It is a very good school for the arts.

Mel Johnson

The problem with Juilliard, is that the ballet program hasn't been anything exceptional since Antony Tudor died some years ago. The school's modern department seems to rule the dance program, and ballet seems to be treated as a second-class discipline, like tuba playing in the instrumental program.

Guest dncrgrrl

I had a friend go there for the summer program (when she was 16) and she was dissapointed in it. I can't form an opinion, since I've only seen the school from the outside!

Guest Lesy

Can you tell me what she was mostly dissapointed in??

Guest dncrgrrl

She felt it was not as high in level? She felt more challenged the year we went to Alvin Ailey. She also said the teachers weren't as focused (?)

Guest seg2dance

OK Julliard is a college, < i have heard they do not have a strong ballet program , but i have been told its getting better, but they have a strong modern program> But sorry i know nothing about their programs for younger people, < summer programs etc.>

~Stephenie

Mel Johnson

Their other programs include a "Pre-College Division" and you can find more information at:

Juilliard School of Music homepage

Guest Christopher

I have two friends who go there.. Ben and Matt Stewart. They are identical twins! Anyhow, they do tell me they focus more on modern, but also have ballet classes of course. But they study 3 diffrent techniques of modern... So if that helps any?? =)

Guest seg2dance

Christopher,

I am starting college this year at < Nassau community ,a 2 yr. college> and plan to transfer after, do your friends like Juilliard? I have to start looking at school soon so i was just wondering if you knew? thank you for your time!

~Stephenie

Mel Johnson

Stephenie, don't overlook SUNY Purchase. Their ballet program is quite strong, and as you already know from NCCC, New York state residents get a bit of a break in tuition at SUNY schools over students from elsewhere.

Guest Christopher

Yep! They very much enjoy Julliard!

Guest seg2dance

Yes Thank you Mr. Mel. thing is i wanted to major in dance but my parents were not too thrilled abotu it , so as of the moment i am majoring in Liberal arts, i was alos told to do that even if i was goign to major in dance b/c alot of the dance credits do not transfer well in schools w/ bigger dance programs. < a friend of mien went to nassau then majored in dance at adelphi>

~Stephenie

Mel Johnson

That's a pretty good tactic; doing it that way will probably get you over most of the academic core courses and will transfer relatively easily if you keep to the recognizably basic academic ("10x") courses, like English Composition, and History of Western Civ and such like.