Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest justDANCE

College/Conservitory

Guest justDANCE

I was just wondering, what's the difference between a college and a conservitory? And which would be better if one would want to pursue a field in teaching dance. Also, does anyone know of some good college/conservitories for training in dance teaching?

Thanks!

Emily :D

Victoria Leigh

Interesting question, justDANCE. The main difference, I think, is that a conservatory program would be almost totally geared to the one area, like dance, and one would not be taking courses in all the other subjects that colleges require. But the problem is that I don't know any conservatories that have a program geared towards teaching. You might check the Boston Conservatory program.

Mel Johnson

The line has blurred between the classic conservatory and the college, as more and more conservatories issue degrees, rather than act as open-ended programs which were set on collecting like-minded students and at most issue certificates of course completion. The old conservatories were more like the "colleges" of old in that their goal was to make a group of colleagues who could function at a very high level under a small number of acknowledged masters. Modern accreditation won't often allow for that level of specialization, but some places do it. Check the catalogue of the school you're interested in, and see if they offer a "certificate of professional specialization" or such like title rather than a Bachelor's of anything, which requires, generally speaking, core academic courses.