Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SugarGurl417

JUST STARTED DANCING AGAIN, WHEN WILL I GO EN POINTE??

Guest SugarGurl417

Hello. I danced from ages 4-11. I went on pointe at 9, and when I moved I quit dancing at age 12 because my new studio would not let me stay on pointe because I was more advanced than the others. I just started dancing again, now I'm 16. How long will it take b4 I get on pointe again? Is it possible that I still have some strength in my legs and feet from b4? I really wanna go back on.

Victoria Leigh

Hello Candy, and welcome! I'm going to move this topic down to Young Dancers forum and answer it there.

Victoria Leigh

Candy, you have been out of ballet for about 4 years, and although you were on pointe before, you were very young. There is no way we can tell you how long it will take, as we can't see you and have no idea of your abilities or how much you have retained of your previous training. We also can't know how good that training was, and what your current training is like. If you are in a good school now, then you will have to leave that up to the teacher to know when you are ready to dance on pointe again.

There is a topic on Young Dancers forum called Facts of Life About Pointe Work. I think it might help you to read that. You might need to open up your preferences to Show Topics for 20 or 30 Days or so to find it, as it has not been pulled up to the top in a couple of weeks.

By the way, we do ask our Young Dancers not to write in computerspeak here (like "u" or "ur" or "b4", etc.) because we have a lot of posters here from many countries outside of the United States. Since English is not their first language, they would not understand these terms. Besides that, I think it's a good idea to practice writing correctly! ;)

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest SugarGurl417

I am hoping to get en pointe possibly by next summer. I am taking 3-4 classes per week this fall, two of them are ballet. Could it happen? Would that be safe?

Victoria Leigh

Well, it could, but that does not mean it should. I would not even consider putting a twice a week ballet student on pointe. Sorry, Candy :D If you plan to work on pointe you have to be a more serious ballet student than that! Please read that article. I will find it now and pull it up to the top of the list for you.

Guest SugarGurl417

Those are the only classes offered at my level. Would practicing what we do in class at home help?

Victoria Leigh

Not in my opinion, Candy. There is no alternative to daily classes at your age and with missing the last 4 years. At least 4 BALLET classes a week would be my recommendation, more if possible. Otherwise, enjoy dancing, but forget about pointe work.

Guest SugarGurl417

=***( I guess I'll never be on pointe. I might as well just quit now...

Victoria Leigh

Are you going to give up that easy??? Surely there is a way to get more classes, if you really want it, that is. Of course there are some schools who will probably allow you to dance on pointe anyway. Is it a good idea, or safe? No, but it is done all the time. :D If you want to do it right, find a good pre-professional school and take as many classes as you can. But take away the time limit for pointe. If you can't start out with more than two classes, then start with that. Add more as soon as you advance into the next level. There is almost always a way to make something happen if one wants it badly enough.

Mel Johnson

(I can almost hear an objection forming) And what's wrong with attending class at another additional school that's at least as rigorous as the one you're at now? Nobody has an exclusive on you. You can associate with whom you please. (It's in the US and NJ Constitutions, honest) Or maybe take classes at your school on other days in the level just below yours, and work for complete mastery of the material you already know. There are loads of ways to get more classes. :D If pointe is really your highest priority, I'd lose the other classes that aren't ballet technique, in order to make time for the kind of work that will get you to your goal.

Guest SugarGurl417

The other class that isn't ballet is Jazz, but my teacher said that all the jazz they teach is derived from ballet and it will do the same strengthening-wise as the ballet classes will. And also I am in ballet 1&2 right now, but my teacher said that since I have previous dance experience I should move up to ballet 2&3 during this year. And she told me that possibly by next year I will be with students more near my age, and that pointe is a definite possibility for me.