Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Advanced dance Steps

Guest shopgirl

Guest shopgirl
:blushing: Hello All!! My dance teacher is giving us homework now, and this weeks assignment is to come back to class and have two new dance steps that we hadnt done before or heard of, and be able to pronounce, write, and do them. I've been taking Ballet for Five years now, and pointe for almost Four years, and it's hard to come up with something! So If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate you posting them before Monday. thanx so much. Buh-Bye!

Hi, shopgirl. Welcome to Ballet Alert!

I'm going to move your post into the Young Dancers 16-22 forum -- I can't tell from your post whether this is the right age group, so apologies if I've guessed wrong.

Any questions about class or technique, etc -- about doing dance -- are best handled in the Special Groups forums, where our dance professionals can answer them.

• Administrators

Hello Shopgirl, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum here on Ballet Talk! :blushing:

There are a couple of problems here in terms of our being able to help you. The first is that obviously we don't know what you already know! :rolleyes: The second is that we really do not believe in doing homework for you! :sweating: However, we can help by pointing you in the right direction to find what you need.

You can start online by going to www.abt.org and go to their video dictionary. Even better would be to hit the books! If you don't have any ballet terminology books, which you really should have, then go to the library or to a book store or to Amazon.com (click on the link, above). There is a very inexpensive dictionary called Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet, by Gail Grant. It's a paperback, $5. in American money, and every dancer should have it. If you can afford it, the best book, IMO, would be Gretchen Ward Warren's Classical Ballet Technique. This is a big, more expensive book, but it has everything and lots of photos to show and explain the entire vocabulary of ballet.

Guest Giannina

Hello, shopgirl, and welcome to Ballet Alert! Online. Looks like you've already found, or been directed to, our special groups for dance students. I hope they have been of help to you. I also hope you'll use the board for enjoyment as well as homework assignments! There's so much here for you and I think you will have a lot of fun.

Giannina

I learned several recently that I didn't know existed. It always amazes me that there is so much out there. The one that sticks out most in my mind is glissade batu. Looks very much like it sounds like it should look: a glissade, the legs beat together at the height of the jump, and land like a normal glissade (not like sissonne ouvert).

• Administrators
:rolleyes: Oh yes, one of those steps one does not see very often! Have you done gargouillade yet?

Oh, I love glissade battu :rolleyes: ! It is one of my favorite things to do at auditions when they say "do it again with beats." :rolleyes:

How about entrelacé battu? Or pas de ciseaux battu? Entrechat-sept? Double royale? I think I will stop there....