Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancer's driver

Ballet Schools in Virginia - Northern

Guest TMR

I would suggest Russel School of Ballet. I attended that school for years and the teachers and staff there are wonderful (Thomas and Illona Russell, Mary Henley and Margaret McGarry especially) They have many childrens through advanced and adult classes with performance opportunities as well. They have nice facilites, three studios and big dressing rooms. It is located in Chantilly by the Dulles Expo Center and is an easy commute from Herndon, Centreville or the Clifton area.

~TMR

If you are willing to make a longer commute (since you mentioned Washington) you may want to look at Maryland Youth Ballet as well. It is in Bethesda, right off the beltway and takes no longer to get to than the city.

Mel Johnson

Welcome, TMR to the Forums here at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online! :wink:

Hmm - Chantilly - did you know that a dancing teacher commanded a brigade at the battle there during the American Civil War? Col. Edward Ferrero, former dancing instructor at the United States Military Academy at West Point. I guess they figured that if he could teach cadets to dance, he could command a brigade of infantry. :unsure:

dancer's driver

TMR,

Thanks for the info... Russel Ballet was on my "get info" list. I also called Maryland Youth Ballet. Their program seems to be the most like ours here in Pittsburgh.

The only problem is that I'm really afraid of the beltway!! When I was pregnant with DD my husband had an interview w/ Discovery Channel and we stayed in Bethesda. The thought of driving to and from class during DC rush-hour, with not only DD but preschooler as well :wink: ,really scares me!!! I know I'll just have to deal with it because I really think MYB,Arlington or Washington Balllet will be the best place for her. Do you know any more about MYB? Also have you ever hear about Kintz-Mejia Academy of Ballet in McLean or Reston Conservatory Ballet?

Mel Johnson

If MYB is doable for you, I would recommend that school, but if not, then Arlington is a good choice, too. I've seen young students trained from both places and they seemed very well trained, nothing to unteach. Of course, I must place the estimable Washington School of Ballet at the top of the heap, and if the Beltway worries you, there are ways around that. I periodically invade Northern Virginia. I wish I knew more about the Kintz-Mejia school, as they're in McLean, which has quite a history of suburban DC-area good training. Reston, I know not.

Victoria Leigh

Good schools which don't require beltway or other interstate highways are kinda hard to find around here, however, there is another fine school in Rockville, MD. It is American Dance Institute, headed by the excellent Michael Bjorknes.

As Mel said, there are ways to get to DC and even to Bethesda or Rockville without the use of the beltway, however they would be pretty slow, depending on how far out in VA you will be.

dancer's driver

MS. Leigh and Mr. Johnson too...

Ok, Ok, I'll just have to get over my "beltway" problem ...I realize that Pittsburgh is not a city with REAL traffic and I'll just get used to it. Maybe this spring you and Mr. Johnson can give me some shortcut advice :thumbsup: Hopefully my DD and I will be visiting you soon (I know you mentioned in a previous post that auditons are in August but I still would like to visit a little sooner, just to get feel for things :wink:

Thanks Again!

Guest novamom

Just one more vote for Arlington Center for Dance, which is an excellent studio. But, whichever you choose I wish your young dancer good luck! Let us know how your decision-making is going. :wink:

hborn2dance

Does anyone have knowledge of Classical Ballet Academy in Herndon? I'd like to find out more about it, besides what I can see on their web site. Thanks.

cheetah

Yep - can give you some info. Can't PM you yet, though. Any specifics or would you prefer email?

hborn2dance

I have been trying to get to 30 posts but I tend to lurk (I'm scared to post too often). But since I'm only 16 I don't think I can give you my email address. Or am I allowed to? My email address doesn't give away my identity. Any suggestions?

I am trying to find out about the quality of the training. How many people are in the time release program, do they all get invited to be in the company. Where do the dancers live (spread out or all in Herndon)? Also their web site isn't current for 2006 SI for their dancers. Any knowledge of the SI's their most advanced students are attending?

Is the quality similar to what one would get at a residency program such as VSA or Walnut Hill for example?

Thanks for any information you can provide. I will keep working on getting to 30 posts.

cheetah

OK - The school is a small school. I don't know how it compares to VSA or Walnut Hill, but the feedback has typically been that the technique is pretty good. They start slow and progress pretty much as recommended by others on the board. Supposedly they were switching to a more Vaganova-based curriculum. Most recent time release program had technique/pointe four days a week and then company class on Saturday. Not all time release students are in the company, though, but students at that level could take as many lower level classes as they wanted. Even without being in the "company" one could have techinque six days a week. Modern and jazz were required. A few boys, so partnering was added recently - may or may not continue.

In the past, you didn't have to be in the company to be in the productions. Roles were based on artistic requirements as well as ability - and sometimes just on effort. Two productions a year requiring a LOT of rehearsal and prepration. Good productions, though, especially compared with other local performances.

The time release program has maybe 15 students (or did). Students live in the general Northern Virginia area, but have traveled as far as Charlottesville. Some come from Arlington, others Herndon, Ashburn, Manssas, McLean, etc.

Overall pretty intense atmosphere. Some like it, some don't. Definitely not dinklish. Uniforms are required. Discipline is expected, even among the younger set. As for SIs this year, I know of SAB, Boston SDP and YDW, Richmond, Orlando, PNB, UBA, ABT, Ballet Austin, Houston, WSB, Kaatsbaan, Pittsburgh, and the Rock. I'm sure there were others. Many scholarships received. Not many professional contracts, but probably due to not many seniors staying with it. I know of Cincinnati and Richmond, but also acceptances to Indiana.

They have drop-in classes in August that you could try to see if you liked it. The AD will be teaching a few weeks and a Russian male instructor teaches two of the other weeks. Once you get 30 posts, PM me and I'll give you more information. Or, if OK with moderators, I'll can post an email address (that doesn't identify me) and you can email me with additional questions. There are others on this board that also have information that they may be willing to share.

hborn2dance

Thank you for that information. It sounds like you are really knowledgable of the school. I'm working on getting to 30 quality posts. So thanks for providing the detail now. :unsure:

Victoria Leigh

It is okay for adults to post their email addresses, as long as they are comfortable doing that.

duhitsnicolette

i would recommend the loudoun school of ballet in ashburn, i go there! it is a great school!

cheetah

hborn2dance - you can email me for more specific information (removed by poster.)