Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancer's driver

Ballet Schools in Virginia - Northern

Guest yvette

I also have knowledge/experience of Classical Ballet Academy (I believe Ms. Leigh was referring to it earlier in this thread, Cynthia Rudorfer is the AD).

I can tell you it is a very prefessional school, especially when compared to other schools in the area. As cheetah said, there are two major productions a year and they do require a lot of rehearsal. One thing that I have to add though, is that the time release program has class 5 days a week and those students are encouraged to take as many other classes as they want.

The record of SI acceptances also includes Atlanta and NCDT and professional graduates dance at Richmond, Smuin, Alabama and Cincy as well as alumni at Indiana, Butler and the University of Texas dance programs.

If anyone else wants more information I know I cannot PM yet, but just go ahead and ask!

Edited by yvette

kariboo

It is my understanding that this studio in Herndon instituted a "weigh-in" policy for casting it's school recitals. Curious to hear if this is so.

Guest MasterPuppeteer

Greetings folks, I searched for an old thread to this topic but didn't find one. Question: I'd like to put my 5-year old DD in a really good school that's not too far away from our house (Fairfax, Va). Right now, she's in a non-prepro studio but it specializes in the very young dancer. Just doing a Google Search yielded the following treasure trove: Center Dance Company/Arlington Center for Dance, Center for Ballet Arts, Virginia Ballet Company, Adagio Ballet, Swan Ballet, Reston Conservatory.

Of course I'd like to base my selection not on Google but on the experience/recommendation of other parents of young dancers in my area. Anyone recommend their kids' school? Why/why not? Thank you!

b1

Not answering directly about the school recommendations (I know none of these schools), but commenting on the age of your child and the school that specializes in young children. Keep her there. This is the age where movement exploration and music introduction is so very important. If you are happy where she is, keep her there. Pre pro schooling really has no bearing on this age. I know of no child who knows at 5 they are going to be a pro dancer. Maybe they want to be, lol!, but let them explore and enjoy the freedom of dancing at 5,6,7 etc. in a school that focuses on and specializes in young children.

Guest MasterPuppeteer

Thanks for your advice, b1. At this time I have no choice but to keep her there as it's one of only two schools in our area that has a class that can fit into our schedule. I'm kinda lamenting the fact that I have to pick DD's classes based on my schedule instead of whether the school is good/not so good. Makes me feel like I'm doing her a disservice. Those are the facts of life though, gotta work to take care of the mortgage first.

Edited by MasterPuppeteer

Violin4Me

Is anyone familiar with Virginia Ballet Company School? We are moving to Fairfax Station and my daughter's current teacher recommended them very highly.

My daughter is a 15 yr old dancer, 6 total years of ballet, pointe for 18 months, considering pursuing a ballet-related field in college.

Capeme

There are quite a few good ballet schools in Northern Virginia from which to choose.

I know that Virginia Ballet Company will be performing Giselle on April 25 and 26 if your schedule permits you to watch. Also, there is Classical Ballet Academy in Herndon and The Reston Conservatory in Reston, Virginia. A dancerl from the Reston Conservatory was invited to go to Vaganova Ballet Academy in St. Petersburg, Russia, after being seen at a Master class in Washington, DC) She currently attends Vaganova. Also, there is the Russell School of Ballet in Chantilly, Virginia where Tess Reichlen, soloist with NYCB. studied before attending SAB.

I hope that helps!

Be sure to check them all out before making a decision!

Edited by Capeme

cheetah

I only know of one family that made the move to that studio, and I'm not sure of their impressions. The school's performances in the community get mixed reviews. There are a few other options that are available to you but they're a lot further away. Depending on your availability as a taxi service, you can also check out Reston Conservatory of Ballet in Reston and Classical Ballet Academy in Herndon - both of which would be north of you, and Manassas School of Ballet which is west of Fairfax Station - in Manassas. We've actually had personal experience with all three of those schools, so if you need more information about them let me know.

MichelleW

If you can get her up to Arlington, it's worth closely evaluating Arlington Center for Dance/the Center Dance Company in addition to the other two schools. I'd actually take the school in Fairfax out of the running and take a hard look at ACD as well as CBA.

koshka

For better or for worse (possibly for better given your location, but only marginally so), Arlington Center for Dance is now in Bailey's Crossroads (Rte 7 & Carlin Springs Rd, by REI). There are quite a number of dancers who come from the western suburbs.

Sheryl Roberts
Is anyone familiar with Virginia Ballet Company School? We are moving to Fairfax Station and my daughter's current teacher recommended them very highly.

My daughter is a 15 yr old dancer, 6 total years of ballet, pointe for 18 months, considering pursuing a ballet-related field in college.

Hi! I am going to try very hard to not sound like an advertisement, because I know that is a no no, but maybe I can help. My daughter just turned 13 and studied for a couple of years at the Academy of Russian Ballet on Rixlew Lane in Manassas. All teachers are former dancers and two of them received their education in Russia. My daughter felt challenged and comfortable with the instruction at the school. We had already attended Manassas Ballet, Fairfax Ballet, and Virginia Ballet, but The Academy of Russian Ballet was a good fit for her.

She received excellent training-enough to be accepted on scholarship to the Kirov Academy in DC, where she now trains. When she is on break she returns to the studio for classes.

Sheryl Roberts
There are quite a few good ballet schools in Northern Virginia from which to choose.

A girl from the Reston Conservatory is the only American to be invited to go to Vaganova Ballet Academy in St. Petersburg, Russia, after being seen at a Master class in Washington, DC) She currently attends Vaganova.

I believe that Kirov Academy in Washington DC has two students, an American boy and girl, who are studying at the Vaganova School in Russia. They are posted on their web site under the "news" section.

Capeme

Perhaps Keenan Kampa paved the way for the two dancers from the Kirov! It was a pretty exciting story for the local ballet community in 2007!

http://www.conservatoryballet.com/docs/Kee...ory%2005-07.pdf

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/articl...=66&cat=104

We moved here 4 years ago and have been very happy with the school we chose for my 2 DDs. I was trying not to advertise, but to give some options that would be available to Violin4me. FYI, my dds do not attend The Reston Conservatory!

dancemaven

I believe over the years, here on BT4D, we've learned that there have been several 'only American(s) to be invited to train at the Vaganova Academy' . . . . , although there are still relatively few dancers chosen. Why the press folks think it is necessary to make that claim, :) Perhaps, it is 'the only American' from School X or at this time.

Actually, after reading the articles linked, I would surmise from the dancer's quote that she was the only American present for that session and one of the articles does state she was one of a few Americans to have trained at the Academy.

Our own vrsfanatic has trained at the Vaganova.

dancesmith

Violin4me,

You are very fortunate to be coming here to the Northern Virginia area. Unlike other places you may have been where the problem was just finding a school, here you will be selecting from a number of good ballet schools, which you can probably tell from the discussion.

To summarize some of the above, you should find (at least) the following schools probably within a reasonable distance of Fairfax Station (depending somewhat on which part you live in, as it is a rather extended geographic area). Alphabetically,

Academy of Russian Ballet (Manassas)

Arlington Center for Dance (Bailey’s Crossroads)

Center for Ballet Arts (Fairfax)

Classical Ballet Academy (Herndon)

Fairfax Ballet/Russell School (Chantilly)

Manassas Ballet Academy (Manassas)

Reston Conservatory (Reston)

Virginia Ballet Company (Fairfax)

All of these schools have websites I would encourage you to Google. From the websites, you can start to get an idea about curriculum, faculty, schedule, facility, performance opportunities, distance, and for most, price. You can probably find a sticky or certainly a discussion somewhere on this board that addresses choosing a school which expands on criteria. I would certainly recommend personally visiting several of them before making a decision.

If you extend the distance you might be willing to go, you can find even more excellent programs available in NoVa, DC and the close Maryland suburbs. I believe you will find features of each school that will warrant recommendations and consideration. Like others, I have my own thoughts but also know there really isn’t a “best” school. I’m sure you realize that the best school for your daughter will be the one where she will be most comfortable and can provide the most appropriate training and environment to meet her individual ballet needs and ambitions.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood!