Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancer's driver

Ballet Schools in Virginia - Northern

cheetah

Welcome - almost - to Virginia! I've seen references to schools in that area in various threads. Norfolk is in the SE part of the state, though, so those who live down there may not see your question in this thread. From what I know, there are several schools down there. I can't speak to their quality but at least it will give you a starting point. I've heard of: Ballet Virginia International and also Virginia Ballet Theater. There is also a state school for the arts. That area is lucky because somehow they got the School for the Arts. Classes are at Old Dominion University and those who live in the counties around there are eligible to apply. I've only met one person who attended so far, though, and again, can't speak to the quality of the program.

I know that Virginia Ballet Theater has had people place at YAGP, at least at the regional levels.

Good luck on your move. If you won't more information, once you get PM me. I actually have a brother-in-law who lives down there and I can always ask him to get some first hand information.

ceecee

Just wanted to put a note here that we are spending a few days in the area for auditions, and Conservatory Ballet, in Reston, was a very welcoming place for DD to drop in on an advanced class yesterday. The staff and students were very friendly, & my daughter came out of the class saying "That was fun!" The atmosphere was casual and relaxed & the instruction was Vagonova-based.

bunhead99

deleted

Momto2

Hi everyone. I've been a member on these boards for awhile, but this is my first time posting a question. My daughter has been dancing since she was in preschool and just began pointe this year. She is very unhappy at the studio where she is dancing because her teacher spends much of the class screaming, yelling and belittling. I would like to find a studio that offers good instruction but that uses a more supportive approach. My daughter is not averse to criticism, but does not want to continue receiving it in the manner I described. She has gone from loving ballet over the last couple of years, when she had the more reasonable teacher, to dreading it. If she were to continue, almost all of her classes would be with this teacher for the next 3 or 4 years.

We are in western Loudoun and I am wondering about Vostrikov's Academy of Dance as well as Skye Ballet or any other studios you can recommend that offer a more supportive atmosphere.