Ballet Talk for Dancers

Lady Elle

Well, his reply to how big they expect the incoming class to be was the fact that they have 34 freshmen now.  Which is less than an earlier post suggested.  They also do not have Pas classes their freshman year.  They do need to take jazz (along with modern, of course).  The meeting felt a little odd.  I felt a little silly for asking to meet with him.  

balletmama1

Hi all! What I do know is that there is a formula that normally works to have a new class of 25-30 factors a percentage of those accepted will come to Butler. The past two years that percentage was much higher and they ended up with large classes 35+. There is always some attrition attributing to the lower number. It’s a rigorous program with exceptional talent and not for everyone. Mr. Attaway is a great guy and typically very good with an audience. :D

It’s an amazing program and university!

owffan

My DD will graduate from Butler Ballet in May. Having followed them for last several years they do a good job of flexing with size of acceptances. My impression is that they offer similar number of positions and class size depends on acceptances. 

balletgem

My DD is just starting the application process, and Butler is on her list.  Can anyone comment on what the most recent graduates are doing from 2017 and 2018?  I have looked through this thread, but only found 2016 grads.  

balletmama1

Hi balletgem, 

Here are a few of the places Class of 2018 are dancing: Louisville Ballet (4 women), Cincinnati Ballet II (male), Ft Wayne Ballet (1 woman), City Ballet of San Diego (3 women), San Diego Ballet (woman), Verbs Ballet (male), Charlottesville Ballet (women), Ballet West (woman), Joffrey Ballet (male), Kentucky Ballet Theatre (woman). Others are at other regional companies that I can’t recall the names...most of these positions are as trainees and apprentices.

Class of 2017 include: Los Angeles Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet, Kentucky Ballet Theater, Oklahoma City Ballet, Sarasota Ballet, The Washington Ballet, Richmond Ballet, Central Illinois Ballet, City Ballet of San Diego, San Antonio Ballet, Charlottesville Ballet, Visceral Dance Chicago, Big Muddy, and others went on to grad school.

Hope this gives you an idea of where several grads have gone. 😊

whippet2me

My DD auditioned on the 2nd then received her acceptance on the 12th.  She loved the program and felt like it would be a great fit for her.  She did say the kids had to live on campus for 3 years???and that she thought there would be a larger freshman class than the other programs she has been accepted into.  I was unable to attend the info session for the parents and now wish I did :)  Thanks to everyone who is sharing info on these boards!!! Navigating through this college dance path is a lot😱

Viviangrace

Hello,

What style of ballet is the main focus at Butler?  Is it Vagnova?
Thanks!

Lady Elle

Viviangrace - based on the audition and observation of the classes at Butler, I would say they do not stick to one syllabus but are varied.  I believe they've performed Balanchine pieces.  In my opinion, the audition class that my dd did with Butler was one of the most difficult auditions.  Very cerebral.  It was also very crowded which made it a little more difficult.  

3elizajane

Hi Whippet2me- I attended the Butler audition and another university audition (I'm unclear if I'm allowed to mention another school in Butler's thread) that I see your daughter also auditioned at.  Butler's class size (compared to some others) appears to generally be much larger.  Some universities that my daughter is looking at state that they are looking  to admit 15-17 new dancers but Butler used to aim for approx. 25.  In their very recent past (you can scroll backwards and see which years) their algorithm for acceptances versus actual student enrollment had gone haywire.  Several years had quite large class sizes.  Anyways.... the department stated they are looking to reduce admissions in general and looking to have smaller groups (I got the impression of less than 20 - we will see what pans out).  

With all that being said, Butler did an amazing job selling their university.  From my brief impressions (I have not asked anywhere else) while speaking  to the students (during a question and answer session and then while they were giving small groups tours), the students feel their professors do an amazing job keeping in touch with the students, they know their students and are invested in their success.  They even switch out teaching classes ever 6-8 (I think?) weeks so the students are continually challenged by the different teachers different expectations/teaching styles, and it also allows for all the professors to have their finger on the pulse of each group of students (since there are more of them!).  

Viviangrace- read what I included about the teaching styles in the in the last several sentences.  Every professor at Butler comes with their own background and they expect their dancers (they flat out stated as much) to become familiar with all the different styles and expectations of the different professors.  This expectation very much mirrors what their future real world experiences may look like so I'm glad to hear it.  I remember one teacher was Vaganova, one was Balanchine, and I think (???) one had some Cecchetti influences.  My daughter would probably remember more but she's not here to ask right now.  

Yes, all students have to live on campus for three years-she remembered that correctly!

My daughter's Butler audition class was actually much smaller/not as crowded when compared to another University's she attended at the beginning of October in another state.  

whippet2me

Thank you 3elizajane for the great info!

What a crazy process. We are at the half way point...guessing the schools took a Nutcracker break...so grateful🎁

Best wishes on your DD's upcoming auditions. 😊