Ballet Talk for Dancers

Coppelia-doll

Congrats to your DD, classicmom! I'm a few years out of Butler (graduated in 2014), but I can definitely try to answer some of your questions.

Dancers are busy! First-year students typically take 3-4 academic classes each semester along with their dance classes. Academic classes tend to be in the morning and dance classes after lunch. That being said, there isn't tons of downtime, compared to "regular" college students. Breakfast - dinner is taken up with classes and evenings can be filled with rehearsals, if you sign up for student productions. Most of my downtime my first year was taken up with homework, rehearsal, and making friends! Residential life had activities now and again and there are other events on campus as well. 

I didn't have a car my 4 years there, and Uber wasn't really a thing yet, so I didn't leave campus much until Sophomore year when my friends had cars. I would imagine that's a bit different now with Uber being available. There's a shopping/dining area close by that is popular among students and the campus is pretty close to Downtown Indy. 

A fair number of dancers are involved in Greek life, but not everyone. I was personally involved in Greek life and am so glad I made the decision to join. It is a time commitment, but I was able to make so many friends and have experiences outside of dance that it was 100% worth it for me. If your daughter is interested at all, I would recommend signing up at the beginning of the school year for the various events that are offered. It gives a good sense of what the culture is like and you can ask questions! 

I never felt unsafe on campus. It's small enough that everything is a 5-10 minute walk away and walkways are well lit, etc. I would walk through campus at night by myself with no problems. 

I hope that helps in your daughter's decision-making! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwdancer13

• Coppelia-doll

• dancemaven

Marzipandreams
On 1/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, Coppelia-doll said:

Congrats to your DD, classicmom! I'm a few years out of Butler (graduated in 2014), but I can definitely try to answer some of your questions.

Dancers are busy! First-year students typically take 3-4 academic classes each semester along with their dance classes. Academic classes tend to be in the morning and dance classes after lunch. That being said, there isn't tons of downtime, compared to "regular" college students. Breakfast - dinner is taken up with classes and evenings can be filled with rehearsals, if you sign up for student productions. Most of my downtime my first year was taken up with homework, rehearsal, and making friends! Residential life had activities now and again and there are other events on campus as well. 

I didn't have a car my 4 years there, and Uber wasn't really a thing yet, so I didn't leave campus much until Sophomore year when my friends had cars. I would imagine that's a bit different now with Uber being available. There's a shopping/dining area close by that is popular among students and the campus is pretty close to Downtown Indy. 

A fair number of dancers are involved in Greek life, but not everyone. I was personally involved in Greek life and am so glad I made the decision to join. It is a time commitment, but I was able to make so many friends and have experiences outside of dance that it was 100% worth it for me. If your daughter is interested at all, I would recommend signing up at the beginning of the school year for the various events that are offered. It gives a good sense of what the culture is like and you can ask questions! 

I never felt unsafe on campus. It's small enough that everything is a 5-10 minute walk away and walkways are well lit, etc. I would walk through campus at night by myself with no problems. 

I hope that helps in your daughter's decision-making! 

My d is applying to Butler, so it's good to hear from a grad. Are you dancing now? My d wants to dance professionally. She is applying to both companies and colleges. Thanks!

classicmom

Thank you, Coppelia-doll! It’s great to hear from someone that had such a good experience. It sounds like a full but rewarding schedule!

Coppelia-doll

I am not dancing now, I actually decided to change my major from Dance to Arts Admin my sophomore year. Not because of the dance program at all, just a change of heart on my part. However, I was a dance minor and stayed really involved in the dance program throughout my 4 years at Butler. I work at SF Ballet School now alongside another Butler Ballet alumna in the development department! 

Many of my classmates danced professionally right out of school! Some danced for just a few years and then changed courses, others are still going.

Marzipandreams
1 hour ago, Coppelia-doll said:

I am not dancing now, I actually decided to change my major from Dance to Arts Admin my sophomore year. Not because of the dance program at all, just a change of heart on my part. However, I was a dance minor and stayed really involved in the dance program throughout my 4 years at Butler. I work at SF Ballet School now alongside another Butler Ballet alumna in the development department! 

Many of my classmates danced professionally right out of school! Some danced for just a few years and then changed courses, others are still going.

1 hour ago, Coppelia-doll said:

Thank you  for responding, Coppelia-doll. That's great that you work at SF and graduated from Butler. My d will have to decide between college and dancing right away. Due to Covid, we are applying to both and will see if companies will be able to use trainees and apprentices if companies are unable to do live performances in person. My dancer would prefer to dance right away, but I don't want to support her completely if she was a trainee. At least in college, we can get loans and know she is building credit towards graduation. I am open to her starting college and leaving after a year or two to dance and completing her degree later. Any thoughts on the two different routes?

Coppelia-doll

Marzipandreams, I think it's so smart that your daughter to both apply to college and audition for companies. They're very different routes! You have to grow up a bit faster going straight into dancing than if you're going to college and living in the dorms with RAs, a cafeteria, and more structure in daily life. However, many professional dancers do take college classes while they are dancing, so that's always possible as well. As you mentioned, staying open to changes during the whole process is so important.

Something that you might keep in mind is that even after graduating from college, it's not uncommon for dancers to be a trainee or apprentice for a year or two, so you might be helping to support her at some point down the line either way.

Marzipandreams

Thanks, Coppelia-doll for getting back to me. We are living in such a strange time. It's hard to know what's right! I understand that making a living as a ballerina may involve a lot of financial support!

Marzipandreams, if you are thinking of having your daughter attend college for a few years and then possibly leave after a year or two, one of the things you should look into is the terms of any student loans that she may take out.  When my DD was looking at the college option she was told that student loans are deferred as long as she is in college, but then would come due for repayment if she left.  She decided that having to repay student loans while trying to support herself on a nominal ballet salary would be too difficult.

Marzipandreams

Thanks for the thought, cat11. In terms of loans, I have no plans to take out big loans for a BFA. She will only be attending if she gets financial aid and scholarships. I already have one student at an expensive private university and loans!! He will graduate with an electrical engineering degree and will be able to pay them down easily. A dance major will not have that earning power! She really wants to dance right away, but we are hedging our bets with COVID devastating the arts. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
Marzipandreams

My d got in Butler with an academic scholarship, and we are waiting on the ballet dept. Apparently her youtube video was too long and didn't post so she is busy editing today.  Good luck to all of your dancers who are applying!!

classicmom

Congrats @Marzipandreams and I hope you get good news from the dance department as well. Butler is one of dd’s top choices. It seems like a great program and she likes the idea of getting a double major. 

ballettalkgrm

Congrats on your daughter's academic acceptance to BU @Marzipandreams!  Good luck on the dance department side.  I am curious if the academic scholarship is a game changer in making tuition more affordable. I have been told by my daughter's AD at her pre pro school that they aren't extremely generous in their scholarship offers.  I have an older son currently studying theatre performance in NYC at Fordham Univ Lincoln center.  We were fortunate that between his academic scholarships and talent based scholarship it brought the tuition/room/board down by 50%. It's still a steep bill to pay considering he'll be a struggling actor probably for most of his life, but it certainly helped.  

balletmom729

Just a question about terminology: when you say “academic scholarship “ is that in response to the FAFSA or offered for academic merit?

ballettalkgrm

@balletmom729Academic scholarships are not in response to  FAFSA. They are based on the prospective student's high school academic performance, GPA, class rank, standardized test scores, National Merit.

Marzipandreams

Balletmom729, ballettalkgram is correct about the academic scholarship. It is not financial aid. We haven't looked at financial aid yet because we are hoping for a dance scholarship if that is possible.