Ballet Talk for Dancers

Coppelia-doll

Congrats to your DD, classicmom! I'm a few years out of Butler (graduated in 2014), but I can definitely try to answer some of your questions.

Dancers are busy! First-year students typically take 3-4 academic classes each semester along with their dance classes. Academic classes tend to be in the morning and dance classes after lunch. That being said, there isn't tons of downtime, compared to "regular" college students. Breakfast - dinner is taken up with classes and evenings can be filled with rehearsals, if you sign up for student productions. Most of my downtime my first year was taken up with homework, rehearsal, and making friends! Residential life had activities now and again and there are other events on campus as well. 

I didn't have a car my 4 years there, and Uber wasn't really a thing yet, so I didn't leave campus much until Sophomore year when my friends had cars. I would imagine that's a bit different now with Uber being available. There's a shopping/dining area close by that is popular among students and the campus is pretty close to Downtown Indy. 

A fair number of dancers are involved in Greek life, but not everyone. I was personally involved in Greek life and am so glad I made the decision to join. It is a time commitment, but I was able to make so many friends and have experiences outside of dance that it was 100% worth it for me. If your daughter is interested at all, I would recommend signing up at the beginning of the school year for the various events that are offered. It gives a good sense of what the culture is like and you can ask questions! 

I never felt unsafe on campus. It's small enough that everything is a 5-10 minute walk away and walkways are well lit, etc. I would walk through campus at night by myself with no problems. 

I hope that helps in your daughter's decision-making! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwdancer13

• Coppelia-doll

• dancemaven

On 1/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, Coppelia-doll said:

Congrats to your DD, classicmom! I'm a few years out of Butler (graduated in 2014), but I can definitely try to answer some of your questions.

Dancers are busy! First-year students typically take 3-4 academic classes each semester along with their dance classes. Academic classes tend to be in the morning and dance classes after lunch. That being said, there isn't tons of downtime, compared to "regular" college students. Breakfast - dinner is taken up with classes and evenings can be filled with rehearsals, if you sign up for student productions. Most of my downtime my first year was taken up with homework, rehearsal, and making friends! Residential life had activities now and again and there are other events on campus as well. 

I didn't have a car my 4 years there, and Uber wasn't really a thing yet, so I didn't leave campus much until Sophomore year when my friends had cars. I would imagine that's a bit different now with Uber being available. There's a shopping/dining area close by that is popular among students and the campus is pretty close to Downtown Indy. 

A fair number of dancers are involved in Greek life, but not everyone. I was personally involved in Greek life and am so glad I made the decision to join. It is a time commitment, but I was able to make so many friends and have experiences outside of dance that it was 100% worth it for me. If your daughter is interested at all, I would recommend signing up at the beginning of the school year for the various events that are offered. It gives a good sense of what the culture is like and you can ask questions! 

I never felt unsafe on campus. It's small enough that everything is a 5-10 minute walk away and walkways are well lit, etc. I would walk through campus at night by myself with no problems. 

I hope that helps in your daughter's decision-making! 

My d is applying to Butler, so it's good to hear from a grad. Are you dancing now? My d wants to dance professionally. She is applying to both companies and colleges. Thanks!