Ballet Talk for Dancers

balletmom729

@Marzipandreams @ballettalkgrm thanks! New to the college thing (1st time and only child ). Have gotten conflicting information about the relationship of the FAFSA to merit scholarships ( academic or dance). Some have told me you need to file to be eligible- glad to hear that’s not the case. And @Marzipandreamscongratulations to your dd on the academic scholarship! 

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwdancer13

• Coppelia-doll

• dancemaven

Marzipandreams

balletmom729, in the 1970s and '80s, you could not get an academic scholarship from National Merit if you were above the income threshold. That is no longer the case. If you qualify by grades or test scores, you are eligible for academic scholarships. This makes it more fair for everyone. Also if you are up on financial aid, most colleges are offering middle class and even upper class students some kind of discount because the list price for college is now so ridiculously high. Even if you are high income, you should fill out FAFSA just to see how you are classified. Parents now expect discounts in the form of scholarships rather routinely so colleges oblige, but it shows how inflated the cost of college is today. Foreign students routinely pay list price which, of course, the colleges welcome. If you need any advice on student loans, I am now a veteran thanks to my junior at Northeastern!

balletmom729

@Marzipandreamsthanks - makes sense (even if not really obvious by reading the stuff on the college websites😊). Really appreciate your insights and advice!

classicmom

It looks like financial aid offers should be coming out soon. The deadline for auditioning with scholarship consideration is this Friday, so hopefully that means any potential scholarships will be awarded soon too.  It would be nice to have a full picture of costs before dd gets her heart set on a particular school.

For those that are familiar with the program, I noticed that there aren’t any body conditioning/pilates, etc. classes on the schedule. I see some classes on alignment and movement analysis but I’m not sure if these would include conditioning. Do dancers condition on their own? Go to the fitness center? Is there a trainer or PT they can take advantage of (I see there is a PT fee for dancers each semester so I am hoping that is the case)?

cluelessballetmomof1
On 1/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, Marzipandreams said:

My d is applying to Butler, so it's good to hear from a grad. Are you dancing now? My d wants to dance professionally. She is applying to both companies and colleges. Thanks!

Marzipandreams, would you mind sharing which colleges and universities your DD is applying to? We live in the eastern part of the country and, though my DD is only a sophomore, we're beginning to think about colleges and would like to plan visits this fall. I am combing through this (incredibly helpful!) forum - is there other advice you can give me about how to research college dance programs in the eastern part of the US? Basically, I know that IU (my alma mater! History major though, not a dancer!), Butler, UNCSA, and NYU all have good programs. Any others people would recommend that I begin researching? Thanks in advance!

balletgem

I might suggest Oklahoma University,  University of Cincinnati,  Texas Christian University,  Julliard, Boston Conservatory,  University of Arizona (although I realize not all East coast,  all have very good programs) but taking the time to read the individual threads on BTFD is well worth the time.  Every program is different and you will get a sense of what might be right for your DD. There are many factors in deciding. 

Marzipandreams

Cluelessballetmomof1, my d did not limit herself to East Coast schools. We were not interested in the West Coast for financial reasons (travel costs etc). She wanted a strong ballet program with emphasis on performance with the goal of dancing professionally. Schools she applied to I.U., University of Oklahoma, NYU (Tisch), Julliard, Point Park, SUNY Purchase, Butler, and UNCSA. There are many other excellent schools that we just didn't want to throw too wide a net: University of Cincinnati, Boston Conservatory at Berklee, SMU and so on. She didn't want to be in Texas so that's why SMU was out. We also considered economics a lot. It will all come down to the best deal financially with a great ballet program. Boston is expensive. We have very limited means and she understands. I have a son in college as well, but he will be able to pay off loans as an electrical engineer!

cluelessballetmomof1

Marzipandreams, thank you so much! Is there any way you might be able to message me?  am not allowed to message anyone yet on the forum - I guess because I am too new? I had a few other questions for you, if you don't mind. Thank you so much, your advice has truly been invaluable to me :-).

Marzipandreams

cluelessballetmomof1, I just messaged you, and gave you my email. Feel free to email me. 

marzipandreams I think our dd's are in same situation, i see your name on the same threads i'm following- trainee and college options- i can't message you, it says, but wondered if you would message me if want to bounce ideas off each other as try to sort out this crazy world of post grad ballet training and goals!!

cluelessballetmomof1
3 hours ago, Marzipandreams said:

cluelessballetmomof1, I just messaged you, and gave you my email. Feel free to email me. 

Thank you! I am emailing you 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
ballettalkgrm

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this or not, so if not, please move it to the correct thread.

My daughter (junior in HS) was accepted to Butler's SI and she really wants to attend as Butler would be one of her top college choices.  The problem is they don't know if they will be offering residential housing this year.  They will not be making that decision until May 1.  In the event they end up only offering a commuter program they will not be suggesting any alternative housing options.  The dancer would be on their own in finding food and lodging.  In reading this thread it seems that Butler is not terribly close to hotels. I'm assuming there may be some airbnbs close by?  I'm wondering if it would be necessary to have a car to get to campus? I guess Uber could be an option, but for 4 weeks that might get pricey.  My daughter would be traveling from another intensive by herself (17) and I'm trying to figure out if logistically figuring out housing for her would be doable.  Any suggestions on what we could do if I'm not able to spend 4 weeks with her in Indy or are any dancers on this thread going to be attending or have attended in the past that might offer some advice?  TIA!

• 2 weeks later...
Marzipandreams

Good news! Butler does give ballet scholarships!! My d just got word of her award which will significantly lower the cost of tuition when combined with the academic scholarship!! Whoopee! We visit over spring break! Can't wait! Good luck to all of your dancers!!

cluelessballetmomof1
14 hours ago, Marzipandreams said:

Good news! Butler does give ballet scholarships!! My d just got word of her award which will significantly lower the cost of tuition when combined with the academic scholarship!! Whoopee! We visit over spring break! Can't wait! Good luck to all of your dancers!!

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing! Please update after her visit! Would love to know what she thought of the program! Congrats to her!

ballettalkgrm

That's great news @Marzipandreams.  Good to hear that the combo of academic scholarship and talent scholarship will bring the cost down to an affordable range.  This happened with my son (theatre performance major) for Fordham U in NYC.  The combinded scholarships cut the cost of attending/room/board almost in half.  I had heard from my daughter's AD at her pre pro school that Butler was not very generous with their talent scholarships, but good to know that they do exsist.  My daugher plans to attend the SI at Butler as it's one of her top college considerations for Fall 22.  We'll be waiting to hear your feedback from your visit!