Ballet Talk for Dancers

Coppelia-doll

Congrats to your daughter, @marzipandreams! My parents were only able to afford Butler because of general financial aid, scholarships, and grants! It's true that they aren't very generous with dance program scholarships, but they're pretty generous in other ways. I hope you have a nice visit! 

@ballettalkgrm You definitely need a car in Indy. Butler's campus is very walkable, but she'll want a car to get to the grocery store, Target, etc. if she can't live on campus and have access to on-campus dining. There aren't any hotels close by but it is a pretty residential neighborhood, so you might be able to find an Airbnb! Just be aware that there probably will be students living on campus in houses in the surrounding neighborhoods taking summer classes.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwdancer13

• Coppelia-doll

• dancemaven

• 4 weeks later...
Marzipandreams

We visited Butler over spring break and really enjoyed it! It is a lovely campus and even though it is a small school (5,000 undergrad), the campus is not too small. We really liked the campus and it is in a suburb of Indianapolis which is very nice with nice old homes. We got to tour the dance building and see the studios. The costume room is great! There is plenty of space for rehearsals and classes. We recommend the campus tour. We couldn't go in dorms, but we got in the student center, bookstores etc. There are a lot of majors and ballet students can double major as long as there are no long labs (so no nursing or pharmacy etc.). Students can get into all sports events for free. There are sororities and frats but only a third of students participate. Students can take shuttles into Indianapolis, but interestingly enough, students can keep cars on campus and many do. We went to a cute restaurant (Canal Bistro on Guilford Avenue) by the canal and checked out the funky boutiques in that area. Butler made a great impression!

• 2 weeks later...
Marzipandreams

We loved Butler, but ultimately have picked Oklahoma due to in-state tuition thanks to Academic Common Market that or state is part of with 15 other "southern states." I highly recommend Butler; it's a great school and location.

classicmom

My daughter will be at Butler this fall! She loved the campus and the program is a great fit for her. She is excited to perform in a full-length ballet and Nutcracker every year. And she is planning to double major as well!

Fouronlychildren

Congratulations @classicmom! What will she double major in?

classicmom

Thank you!! She’ll double major in math. 

Marzipandreams

Congrats, classicmom!! I think it's a wonderful school! If it was me, I'd go to Butler, but it's 30 years too late!! I went to my local university which is the only one my parents permitted.

• 4 weeks later...
ballettalkgrm

My daughter will be attending BU's summer ballet intensive.  Fortunately, they were given the approval to house and board the students at the dorms this year!  My daughter and I were so relived when we received the email.  We recently tuned in to an IG live with current BU ballet students where you could ask questions and they were pretty open about answering any questions giving you a glimpse into their everyday life.   My daughter asked if while a student at the intensive, are you allowed to do an early audition for the program?  DD is a rising senior and it would be great to kill 2 birds with 1 stone while she is there this summer.  One of the dancers said yes, you could do this as she had a few girls in her class that had done so, however, we could not find any information on the website to confirm this.  Does anyone on here have first hand experience or knowledge regarding this?   I've emailed BU, but haven't heard back yet.  I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be if auditioning early.  I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Dewaltz

Hello ballettalkgrm - My daughter is a Butler ballet student, and she was able to audition through the summer program a few years ago. Of course, things may be different this year, but they shared more details about that option with the students during the summer intensive. We weren't notified about her acceptance until the fall, but it was nice to have one audition completed heading into the fall! 

• 2 weeks later...
ballettalkgrm

Thank you @Dewaltz.  Yes, that was my thinking as well.  I did receive a reply back from BU and was told that it would be discussed with the dancers during the SI and that it would be an option.  I'm now wondering if it's a one and done thing or if you feel like you didn't do well, could you re audition during their regular audition season?