Ballet Talk for Dancers

questions/advice

Guest CelticJewel1283

Guest CelticJewel1283

I would really appreciate any advice or answers that can be given. I seem to have a problem with "over pointing" in my pointe shoes so that the front of my foot pushes forward too far. I've been told this is hard to correct. What should I do?

I would like to go to college and study dance as a major. I have been taking lessons for several years, but I've not had "special training" at a school of ballet. What should I concentrate on most to prepare for audition? I am currently a junior, 16 years old.

Thank you for the advice! :dry:

Edited by CelticJewel1283
  • Administrators

Hello CelticJewel, and welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert! Online. :dry:

Over pointing generally creates a sickle foot, so obviously that is something that must be corrected right away. The simple answer is just don't do it, but of course that doesn't help you very much. If you understand what the foot must look like in a basic tendu, then you must carry that same shape to your pointe work. There is only one correct position of the foot, and if you have been taught how to do that in a tendu to the front, then that is the foot for everything.

I am a little confused about your statement that you have been taking lessons, but have not been to a "school of ballet". Can you elaborate a bit on that, and tell us more about your training? As a junior in high school, preparing for a college major in dance, you really need to have the best training you can find, and of course you also need this kind of training to even be working on pointe. I would like to know a bit more about you, if you wouldn't mind. This would help a lot in trying to advise you.

Guest CelticJewel1283

ok, well I take ballet at a dance studio where I also have been taking jazz, tap, etc.

I've been taking semi-private pointe lessons there for two years. I had been taking ballet classes at another studio before and moved to the studio I am at now.

I live in Richmond, Indiana. Is there a place I could get better training at nearby? Perhaps in Indianapolis?

Thank you very much for your comments =)

Edited by CelticJewel1283
  • Administrators

CelticJewel, while there are some good smaller schools in smaller towns, it is usually better to go to a professional school where they are large enough to be able to offer the quantity and quality of classes necessary to train a dancer to the level where they would qualify for a top college dance program or even a professional company. My suggestion would be to contact the dance department at Indiana University, which is one of the top programs in the country, and ask them for a recommendation for a school in Indianapolis. Or, you could go to the school of the professional company that is in Indianapolis, which is called Ballet Internationale.

CelticJewel, if you live in Richmond, IN you are actually closer to Dayton than Indianapolis. Dayton Ballet is a professional company with a pre-pro school attached. You might want to check that out. You are about 30 to 40 miles from Dayton. You are about 50 - 60 miles from Indianapolis. Ballet Internationale is very Vaganova, Vlailen Semenov is principal of the academy. Hope this helps.