Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books: A Winter Season

Farrell Fan

The title of Toni Bentley's book, "Winter Season," derives from the fact that NYCB's performing year then, as now, was divided into Winter and Spring seasons. Her book actually began life as her journal, or diary, of one season. Some parts are written in her own first-person voice, like an ordinary diary. Other parts are more fictionalized and written in the third person. In these parts, Toni becomes "Isabelle" and, like other young women in the company, gets romantically involved with "Duke," the company's macho sex-symbol. I have my own suspicions as to whom Toni had in mind, but it would be unfair to deal in suspicions. One thing I can assure you of -- in no way is "Duke" meant to suggest Balanchine.

This is a wonderful book, originally published in 1982. If you haven't read it, I particularly recommend Toni's preface to the 2003 paperback edition, which will clarify and deepen your understanding of it.

Thank you, Farrell Fan :unsure::o

• 1 month later...

Thanks farrell fan. that cleared alot of stuff up for me as well. I read the book back in march i think and didn't quite get it.