Ballet Talk for Dancers

Champagne couch!

Tracey

I have a small triumph to tell you about! My BF and I have started talking about having children, and while we were walking past my childhood ballet school on Saturday, he suddenly started asking me about when children could start classes! After a brief explanation he then stated categorically that he would like any child of ours, male or female, to go to ballet classes :angry: !! I'm sure you can imagine how happy I was to hear this - it was something I was hoping he was working up to, but I wasn't sure if he was ever going get it out!

What a sweetheart! :angry:

I don't think many blokes I know would think it OK for boys to do ballet, particularly older ones.

Guest beckster

I was talking to a friend of mine who loves going to the ballet with me, and she said that if she had a boy she wouldn't put him in ballet classes because it was too girly. I was quite surprised - but I suppose the "stigma" is still there, even in younger people and in female parents as well as males.

Guest fastfeets

beckster, my 10 yr old son takes ballet classes. Of course, he's not too vocal about it at his academic school...but he's a very good dancer (wont be able to hide that for long...). He's one of 2 boys in this small school, and the only one in his age group. I will be waiting to begin my classes, which start after his, and will be stretching in a corner, and I've overheard some of the other parents (who either didn't see me, or didn't know I was his mom) comment on the same thing...the parents of dancers! (of course, taking that moment to speak up and say "oh I don't know, his dad and I think he's quite a phenomenal dancer...." which embarrasses them terribly ;))

• 2 weeks later...