Ballet Talk for Dancers

R.A.D Intermediate Exam

Guest Elfina Pixie

Guest Elfina Pixie
Ok this is my first time posting on here. I have been taking R.A.D. for like 7 years now and am just now taking my first exam which will be the Intermediate (Elementary! he he) Has anyone taken it? Do you have any pointers? How do the exams go? What should I expect? How are they graded? My teacher said I will pass with flying colors. I hope so but I am still a bit nervous. It is in May i think. Any help would be great. Also I am taking it in Port Richy Florida. Is anyone else going there? :)

Hi, Elfina and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forums here at Ballet Talk at Ballet Alert! Online! :)

I did RAD Elementary, now Intermediate, so long ago, you don't want to know. You're not going to get anything that you haven't heard or done before. I'm a little surprised that you're this far in the RAD program and have not done grade exams. Or did you enter the RAD method from another?

Guest Elfina Pixie

I have been taking from an RAD teacher and we have been wanting to take the exams for a while. We finally got it organized and ready to go. I was taking Russian method for a while before this teacher came. I have taken all the levels from 6-Advanced 2. But we are just now getting serious about the exams. We also have a teacher coming down every saturday starting last saturday to work with us in addition to Miss Pixie. :yes: I think I will do well and they have kinda told me what to expect but I wanted to know from some other pople who have takent he exam if there are any hints and what to expect. I am also looking into the Teaching certificate program. I am homeschooled and am hoping they will let me take it for the second half of my senior year. I think it will be fun. I am a Junior now. Well I would appriciate any help on this subject that anyone could give me. THANKS! :P

Try to stand near the pianist for center - s/he'll probably take tempo off the dancers closest to the piano! :yes:

Hi Elf! Hey i'll be taking Inter exams next year. I was supposed to do the exams like 5 years ago when it was called elementary, but silly me, i decided to stop ballet back then! :wub:

Anyways, from what my teacher always says. You've got to be SOLID in your technique, in that expression and musicality is always looked at after the examiners are sure that you've got good technique. Good technique will mean clean, neat footwork, no 'shuffly' feet, no untidy positions, and good turnout. Apparently, the better your arch looks, the better overall impression you give too!

All the best for your exams! :lol:

Guest Elfina Pixie

thanks for all the tips. I think i am pretty solid in tech. my teacher thinks i iwll pass with flying colors. My confidence is building every time we have a good class, like tonight. he he. thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ballet_barbie72

I just did my Pre-Elementary exam (sorry i'm not sure of the new term! It's all so confusing! :o:shrug: ) 2 days ago and it was really stressful :D and nerve racking, but in the end I think I went ok. :D My dance teacher always says that doin a ballet exam is just like doing a written exam, except you know all the answersd and exactly what to expect. I think this is very true, because you do know all the "answers" (how to place your body, how to do the excersice etc.) and you know what to expect, ( I mean they aren't going to ask you to do something that you don't already know) :lol:

So my main advice after my experience last week is to stay calm for one thing, :sweating: and just practice practice practice up until your exam. B)

Love always,

-Erin oxo :wub: