Ballet Talk for Dancers
LRS

Gifts for dancers - at home and away

LRS

The mesh bag and sewing book are wonderful ideas! We may try to make the sewing books!

I just wish someone would give her $$ for SI's and shoes!

BW

LRS, I hear you. Perhaps you could speak to your closer relatives and ask for this?

I don't know how old your daughter is, forgive me at the moment my brain's hard drive is full, but there comes a time when greenbacks AKA legal tender is really quite appropriate and helpful.

Or there's always a gift certificate to the right ballet store. :)

ashatNYU

I'm not a parent, but thought this would be more appropriate here than in the Adult Forum. I received the most adorable childrens book from a relative this past weekend and I think it would be a fabulous gift idea for any dancer. It is called "Not Just Tutus" and is written and illustrated by Rachel Isadora. THe pictures are absolutely wonderful and the story captures the essence of dancing for the love of dance, though one may not get all of the steps right or have that "ideal body type". Very inspirational!

Edited by ashatNYU

Funny Face

I have one of Rachel Isadora's books, entitled "Lili at Ballet," another good choice. (Putnam is the publisher).

motherof5

I found this book in the library, and 10 year old dd fell in love with it! It's called Dancing in the Wings by Debbie Allen, and is described as being loosely based on her life as a young dancer. It's a very sweet story about a long-legged girl who worries that her size will keep her from being a good dancer.

Lisa

Guest Cruella Patella

Last Christmas I sewed an emergency bag for my dd. It is the size of a small purse and she keeps it in her dance bag. In it I placed: bandaids, foot cream, tape, advil, hershey's bar, ear plugs, hair pins, hair nets, 50 cents, a sewing needle, thread, elastic, ribbon, a copy of the "Serentiy Prayer," etc.... Several of the items were amusing others were necessary.

She loved it and I occasionally replenish the bag to surprise her.

BW

I don't know if anyone has suggested this or not yet but there are two publications available through Ballet Alert's main web page that are available by subscription only. If you are not familiar with them, you really ought to be - and, depending on the age and interest of your dancers, they'd make excellent gifts. :D Here the link for Ballet Alert! and DanceView.

I give it to myself. B):rolleyes:

Guest petiteanise

Ballet themed charm bracelet (James Avery has a lot of stuff) maybe a different charm for every production shes been in?

Cashmere socks...I got some one year and I wore them to death...very "holy" socks

discount dance has alot of great ideas

I once saw a ballet themed chess board! It looked kind of weird but interesting...and it included male ballet dancers, something you don't always see. You can display as chess game or you could use the figurines only maybe. Oh I saw this at a store called Truque Imports

Funny Face

Cruella, I love your idea. Not costly, and very thoughtful. For the older dancers, some feminine hygiene supplies come in handy too. Also good: emery boards, Neosporin, the bandaid stuff that goes on liquid and dries solid, safety pins, some dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cranberries, etc.), little boxes of juice that come with insertable straws.

mom1

Two years ago I started my daughter a charm braclet with a charm for each role she has danced in the Nutcracker. This web site has everything you would need.

http://www.nutcrackerjewelry.com/

However, I found these flat charms tend to snag on things, so I try to get more 3 dimensional charms when possible. Ex. A candycane for "Candy cane" or a flower for "waltz."

Another web site for Nutcracker related charms is:

http://www.nutcrackerballetgifts.com/html/jewelry.htm

She, of course, loves it... and I felt very clever! B)

Millie

There have been some wonderful gift suggestions for the ladies. However, I am stumped for a small gift for my 17 year old son. He is dancing the role of prince/cavalier in the Nutcracker for the first time this year. I would like to get something special for him to remember the occasion. I have given him the wooden Nutcracker figures in the past, but there is a limit as to how many of these one needs. I have been looking at small glass dancers or Christmas decorations, but these are all ballerinas, not a male dancer in the lot. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

dancemomCA

Millie - I'm in Ontario, in Canada, and just purchased a small gift for a male student dancer - it was a "Seagull" pewter ornament of a male snow-man type figure about 3 inches high. They did not have any Nutcrackers in their ornament line. I don't know if you are able to find "Seagull" pewter in your city, but it was inexpensive - I paid $8.00 CAD. "Seagull" is a Canadian manufacturer, but I do know they retail in some states.

Best of luck!

nlkflint

If you are looking for a gift that you would like to last and don't mind paying a bit for, Swarovski has a beautiful small crystal nutcracker. Not inexpensive, but bought online can run $30 less than retail at the local gift shop. Definately something that will last a few lifetimes. Maybe on Ebay you can even get one for less.

balletbooster

Christopher Radko and Old World Christmas make beautiful glass nutcracker ornaments. They run from $15-100, depending upon size and intricacy. The quality is evident and they are stunning on the tree!

Midwest of Cannon Falls makes a great line of Nutcracker ornaments in varying sizes, posed in realistic and beautiful ballet poses. They include a nutcracker/cavalier that is quite stunning. There is also a figurine of the same that is about 8" high. It is made to go on this gorgeous little stage, along with the other main characters. But, it is wonderful all by itself. Check around at your local gift stores to see if you can find these. If not PM me and I will direct you to a Ballet Boutique where you can purchase them.

If anyone is having trouble finding ballet-themed ornaments, let me know. I can probably help you find one for your dancer's part in the Nutcracker. :wink:

For your son, have you considered a nice Steinbach or Ulbricht nutcracker for this special ocassion? They are a bit pricey, but it is something he could display during the holidays, throughout his life!

Have any of you seen the Ashton Drake series of Ballet ornaments? I ordered this for my daughter a couple of years ago and they are sent a few at a time. These depict major parts in many of the most famous ballets and they are posed beautifully. They are the prettiest and most lifelike ornaments for ballet I have ever seen. I think the entire set is about 12. Individually they run about $12/piece.

vagansmom

Another possibility are ballet posters or window cards. Triton Gallery has a large supply of posters, some of which are ballet. I bought from them, through Ebay, a quite wonderful Gorey window card of the 5 ballet positions, which he'd created for the NYCB.