Ballet Talk for Dancers
LRS

Gifts for dancers - at home and away

Guest BARRENONE

gretchenstar...all the things you mentioned as gifts for a 20-year-old male dancer sound fine...they don't have to be Christmas socks, any slipper socks will do

In addition to the usual leos, tights, hairnets, etc...my DD age 14...looks forward to a new ballet calendar each year.

Guest Chedva

Hi, GretchenStar. I'm Jewish, and I agree with the above about the socks. Since you know he's Jewish, giving him Christmas socks isn't "offensive" per se; I try not to take offense where none is intended, but it's a tad insensitive. Red & green with holly is still very Christmas-y, and he probably wouldn't wear them (I've gotten Christmas patterned sweaters, etc. and they have been "re-gifted" to Christian friends).

You might want to try a sporting goods store for fleece socks; they're so warm and comfortable! And they come in standard colors like black, navy and gray.

Guest lf1027

I know it is too late for Christmas now (I just joined the forum) :wink:

I found a portable ballet barre for my daughter at www.themusicstand.com. It is black, weighs about 17 lbs and comes with a carry case. Not that she's going to "carry" it anywhere but it makes it very convenient to put up and take down in her bedroom. It cost about $100 and seems very well made.

nlkflint

If1027

Welcome. We have that same barre. We have had it for about 3 years--also a Chirstmas present. It still looks new, but yes my dancing daughters put it up and take it down failrly regularly. I like that it folds up. It it amazingly sturdy. I agree that it is not all that portable. We think of it more as "take-downable!"

sme219

I'm sure this has already been covered on the boards somewhere, but my search wasn't very successful. What I am looking for are holiday or birthday gift ideas for children that are living in residency programs. Does anyone have suggestions?

bebebalrina

The Popcorn Factory (www.thepopcornfactory.com) has some cute ideas. The containers are fun and different types of food/treat items. Choices of birthdays, holidays, just because and the prices vary. My daughter and her roomates seemed to enjoy them at her SI.

Guest PAmom

Since many of the residency programs are in bigger cities consider an air purifier. Even with air conditioning the air quality can be better. Small ones that are made for offices are just the right size for a dorm room. Buy some extra replacement filters to go along with it.

Another idea is getting full spectrum light bulbs for any lamp they have in their room. These kids spend so much time indoors it can only help.

sme219

BW,

Ahh, I knew you would be able to find a thread for me! It's funny that when I searched I looked under Christmas instead of Holiday, but then when I posted my question I felt Christmas was too narrow of a category. Oh well. I will go right over to the link you provided. This just seems like it's going to be a tricky year with her being away. There are so many great ideas that she wouldn't have space for or that she wouldn't have use for or just couldn't use being that she is living in residence. I know with all of the great minds here on Ballet Talk there will be some wonderful ideas. I'm off to read the thread that you've provided me with. Thanks.

nlkflint

sme219:

I think things that make those residency beds "nicer" are loved by ballet students who are away. There are a variety of comfortable foam matttress pads/toppers if she doesn't have one already. And if the room is never quite warm enough, the newer heated mattress pads are nice. They have an automatic shut-off after 10 hours, and can be found at stores and on-line for about $39.99 (American). They are less bulky than the older electric blankets.

If towels can be provided instead of the usual 'issue' towels, a nice plush set makes a nice gift. And things to top the bed like a long pillow that can be used as a bolster/back are nice.

There are nice dorm room ideas at Target.com and PotteryBarn Teen.com (and many times once you have an idea you can shop around for less.)

Baskets that have the fabric covers are nice to slide under the bed to store things. My DD received a wonderful set that someone's grandmother had appliqued onto the covers a ballerina. They make nice gifts yet are very useful when space is tight. Ballet bookends are a nice way to hold up books and still have something ballet and cute. A subscription to a ballet magazine delivered to the dorm/residence address is generally a big hit. (Pointe mag is a favorite.) And then she may get dance catalogues mailed to her which are nice and the added mail is fun when you are away.

Heidi

balletbooster

Rolls of quarters, tied with pretty ribbon are a favorite stocking stuffer and can be used for laundry, vending machines and when their allowance runs out before the end of the month does... :flowers:

Harry and David Fruit of the Month can be a fun gift that keeps on giving! Get the 6 month version, instead of the 12 month deal, so that your pears don't get delivered to the dorms during the summer.

Endless bottles of shower gel seem to be used by my dancer! Bath and Body Works is a favorite for such items and you really can't go wrong with something that smells good!

My duaghter would love to get a year's supply of jet glue as this pricey stuff seems to evaporate in the dorms!

lillianna

Don't forget gift certificates to their favorite store in the city. Many of the most popular stores offer gift certificates on line so you wouldn't need to go there to purchase one. The kids always love to go shopping. Giving them money isn't the same, they feel like they need to spend it on necessities. A gift certificate makes a great excuse to have to shop and get something they have been wishing for themselves.

Gift certificates are also available to dancewear companies. IF they have access to the internet, they can use the gift certificate to order on=line.

Tickets to a Broadway show touring through his/her city would also be appreciated by most.

Guest momma

Gift cards (certificates) to the local movie theatre, Starbucks, Whole Foods Market (for those expensive snacks usually off-limits!), and a local fun restaurant (enough $ be able to invite a couple friends for dinner!) were always loved by my daughter when in a residency program.

e'smom

What Momma (above) just said. Gift certificates - starbucks, target, local restaurants, movies. Also dancewear - in residency programs they go through lots of shoes/tights and there is not always money left over for a fun leotard! And magazine subscriptions - like In Style sent to the school. Anything that comes in the mail!

scoop

If you're registered on the site, you already know this, but if not: There are some cute gift items like dance bags, tee shirts, music boxes, etc., that would be great for any NYCB fans on your list. You just have to register with the site to get the 15 percent off. I registered some time ago I think to buy tickets, and it doesn't seem like they bombard you with too many emails like some other sites do. :ermm: