Ballet Talk for Dancers
minty

Books: Ballet books for Adults & Almost Adults?

Guest misskelly

I am new to the board, but an avid reader of Ballet Novels. One of my recommendations, that I came upon by chance, is called Thursday's Children- by Rumer Godden. It is about a brother and sister who take ballet dancing- and the struggels that they go through. It is a very good book, though quite a but on the wordy side. But I loved it.

You may also try, as previously mentioned, The Drina series by Jean Estoril and The Sadler's Wells series by Lorna Hill. Both give a lot of backgorund information and explain things well, so the age range does not factor in as much. However, these books are out of print, and hard to find, especcialy the later books in each series. Check local used book stores before hitting places like Ebay and Abebooks and Alibris- which all know the value and charge you a nice price.

Happy Reading!

vagansmom

MissKelly, Thank you so much for mentioning that Rumer Godden book - I LOVED it when I read it but I'd nearly forgotten all about it! In fact, anything by Rumer Godden is always an interesting read. She's written books for all ages.

Guest dream

this book was mention a while ago but,

i really like Dancer too! i only read it for the first time like 2 weeks ago but i liked it so much im reading it again in school.

Happy

Kellyisthebestintheworld, you can find used copies through Barnes and Noble on line. WWW.bn.com Put the title in the search under "usedbooks". Good Luck.

hugadancer17

A EXCELLENT book I just finished reading is

"Mao's Last Dancer" By Li Cunxin and he tells the story of his life and how he went from a poor peasant boy to international stardom, It is a very inspiring book and it really encorages you to think if you want something that much don't stand there wasting time, go for it. I recommend this book for anyone above 14.

Also a book I read a while ago is Bad News Ballet by Jahnna N.Malcom and its a fantastic book for younger readers. :blushing:

Hugadancer

XX :P

pointebabe4ever

I read a book called either Jenny's Shoes or Jennifer's Shoes. It is an older book so I don't know if you'll be able to find it.

popballet

A book I recently purchased for my daughter (I read it first to make sure it was not too adult) was "Dancing Through Fire" by Kathryn Lasky. It is the story of a young girl who is a student of ballet. It is set in 19th century Paris. It is a great book for young dancers (5th grade & up) because it introduces many historical facts while focusing on a young girl's desire to be a dancer. This is a great book to give as a gift!