Ballet Talk for Dancers

Years of experience....

Guest devion101

Guest devion101

Hey guys,

I have a little problem... Thing is, and I'm sorry I misled you at first, but I've only been dancing for a year... According to my teachers, I have some sort of prodigous talent for ballet which allowed me to catch up to my age group in a matter of months. I've been on pointe for half of that year too. :) . This causes some problems though. I get an average of three reations: disbelief, hostility, and people not taking me seriously. I don't know what to do, especially at auditions. Make up a number about how many years I've been training, or tell the truth? :( Thanks!

Cheers,

Devion

Why lie? Tell the truth.

I must admit, though, that I've got a real problem with putting a first-year student on pointe, but I've seen two (and this is in forty+ years of dancing) students who were amazingly able in picking up ballet technique, as though it had been born into them. They advanced to pointe rather rapidly. Neither is dancing today. :wallbash:

Guest devion101

Thanks, Mr. Johnson, for the vote of confidence on telling the truth! :pinch: . It's hard sometimes, especially when it changes the opinion your dancing companions have of you.... Yeah, I progressed on pointe pretty fast.... My body just reacts really fast to flexibility, strength, and technique training. It's a pretty nice thing! :wallbash: . Once again, thanks!

Cheers,

Devion