Ballet Talk for Dancers

Turning and the Floor Type

ConstanzaElisabeth

I discovered this summer that I turn much better on textured floors. Backstage, off the marley, I could do clean triples every time, but on the marley(even in the wings), I had difficulty with doubles. It felt like i trusted myself more when I could feel the contact, and the floor turning underneath me, and I was more apprehensive on a floor with less resistance that I couldn't feel. I don't trust slippery floors. Do you have any advice for turning on marley floors for people like me who prefer textured floors? It's kind of a weird question...

Don't worry, every man who reads this is nodding his head in sympathy. A lot of marleys are just perfect for pointe shoes, and nice and bouncy for men's entrechats and double tours, but multiple pirouettes can be a real literal drag when done on demi-pointe. I really miss wood if I have to do these. If you can, load up on rosin. Your problem sounds different from mine. I find many marleys too nonskid, you find it too slippery.

• Administrators

Marley is not supposed to be slippery! If it is, then there is something wrong with it, and it has not been treated or washed with the right things. One should not need resin on Marley! It is far better for turning on pointe, but I agree with Mr. Johnson that it is more difficult on demi pointe.

Oh, it's not slippery(well, in spots it is, but generally, no). It isn't sticky either, it is usually very good. It is just difficult to feel the floor through flats. En pointe it is okay as long and my shoes are soft, but it is easier for me to turn if I can feel the texture of the floor-like if I turn on the tape.

I know exactly what you mean. :D I like to be able to feel the connection between my feet and nthe floor, but on a marley, it is so smooth, I dont feel as confident, not because I am slipping but just because I can't feel it. Its hard to explain, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone!