Ballet Talk for Dancers

summer intensive auditions

Guest hopeful

Guest hopeful

This is my first time asking a question here, but I've been reading your advice for a couple of weeks and think that this is a great place. I have a question regarding summer intensive auditions. I have been dancing for a few years and I am older (18). I take advanced classes, so I do not feel like I am too far behind many other dancers. I would really like to go to a summer intensive this year, but I am nervous about auditioning. I know the audition is similar to class, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what specific steps they remembered as being harder in the audition. Also, do you think that my age will work against me? Do they ask how long you've been dancing? My teachers are supportive and think that I could be good enough for a company in a few years, but I just get so nervous about not being up to par with other dancers. If someone could please give me some information about the audition, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

• Administrators

Hello Hopeful, and welcome to the Young Dancers' forum here on Ballet Alert! Online :D

Auditions for SI programs are just classes. If you are used to advanced classes, which is what it will be at your age level, then it will not be a problem. I don't think anyone could tell you any specific steps because every class and every auditioner is quite different. The class will include barre, and then regular center combinations usually starting with a first center practice or an adagio, then pirouettes, then warm up jumps (changements, sautés, etc., things basically on two feet), then petit allegro, then grand allegro, and finally pointe work.

There will be a form to fill out that asks some information about your training background. Just standard stuff. Most of them require a photo, so be sure and look up all the requirements for each audition before you attend.

Just go and do your best, and work just as hard as you do in any class :unsure: