Ballet Talk for Dancers

Residential Summer Program RA

pirouettes2001

I would like some info from someone knowledgeable or anyone who has "worked" as an RA (dorm counselor) in summer ballet intensives geared toward teenage dancers. I'm a 23-yr. old female thinking about "working" in such programs in exchange for classes. I saw something like this on Ballet Pacifica's web site, but I'm wondering if there are opportunities with ballet company affiliated schools, such as Pacific Northwest Ballet.

I suppose I'm an advanced dancer so I won't consider the adult program in Richmond. I take company class with Lines Ballet (which is sometimes attended by professional dancers from a well-known company) in my hometown of San Francisco. Lines Ballet makes its company classes open because it is a small company.

Thank you for any comments.

Karin

I hire the Resident Counselors for PNB's Summer Course. It's a full-time job, though, unlike some programs where the counselors are off-duty during the day and can take class all day. Our staff can take Adult Open classes at no charge as their work schedule allows, but it definitely isn't possible on a daily basis. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. :unsure:

• Administrators

Karin, we hire RA's for the 5 week SI. They are allowed to take a technique and pointe class every day, as long as they are not needed for any emergency with a student. If you are interested in coming to DC, I would need a resume and a letter of recommendation from one of your ballet teachers. Send it to me, at the Washington Ballet. Check the website for further information. www.washingtonballet.org .