Ballet Talk for Dancers

frappes

Guest garlrm06

Guest garlrm06

Hello, I'm new to this board and new to ballet (I'm 26 and have been taking classes since I was 24). Ballet Talk for Adults has given me inspiration, courage, and lots of technical help. Here's my question: How does one develop the fine muscle coordination to do battement frappes with a brush? Mine are so terribly slow compared to my teacher's. Are there floor barre/Pilates exercises that help? What is the physiology of this movement? Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Actually, slow is good! You have to start somewhere, and you build up accent as you go. The best practice for frappé is more frappés! Gradually, your speed and accent become more emphatic over time. They shouldn't be so hard as to shake your whole body, but eventually you'll be doing them at the speed required for the things they are preparation for: batterie, both petit and grand.

(and welcome to the Adult Students' Forum here at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online! :) )

For practicing alone I do them very slow, with a looong pause in the 'out' position, and try to get back in and out again very quickly. It helps my brain to artificially exaggerate the out position, and seems to make it easier in class.