Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dance graduate school

Tiffany

Please move if this is the wrong forum.

Just curious-anyone in dance graduate school (M.A. or M.F.A. or Ph.D.)? Or have recommendations on programs that you like, or dislike? I'm thinking about applying to some of these programs, but don't have any info beyond the Dance Magazine college guide. I'm in graduate school in another area, and I'm not happy. B)

Check out Florida State's Masters in Dance with a Major in American Dance Studies. Contact Tricia Young, head of the dance dept. -- you could even visit in person, not far from where you are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The University of Oklahoma has a good dance program and they offer an MFA. The ballet program is strong and very active in performance.

All of the schools mentioned above have good/excellent programs, but they are just a handful of the places offering advanced degrees in dance. There are a wide variety of programs available, and you need to know what you're hoping to achieve in grad school, in order to find the right place for you.

Some schools are designed especially for pre-professional work (performing/choreography/design). They assume that you come with significant prior training (not necessarily an undergrad degree, however) and the interest/potential to advance in that direction.

Other programs have different emphases: teaching (prechool to college), history, dance ethnology, media arts, dance therapy, arts management, movement analysis, etc. As the field continues to grow, schools have begun to specialize, particularly on the graduate level.

The Dance Magazine Guide is a good place to start looking, but yes, you will need to do additional research. That research needs to start with your own interests and desires -- then you look to find a good match.

You may not want to talk more about yourself in this public forum, but if you do, I know the other denizens have significant expertise to bring to the discussion.

• 10 months later...

I was wondering if there are any other doctoral students (in dance) on this board. Would be nice to exchange some ideas. Doctoral research is a very lonely and individual experience, especially in dance as the choice of school is limited to very few institutions. Would be delighted to share some thought on that topic :)

firstly i am curious what university you are at? i guess it must be surrey? (reason - there are so few universities where this degree would be possible, as you have named it. i get the impression that in the USA, where postgraduate study in dance is more common than in other countries, their degrees might actually be called 'fine arts' or 'performing arts' or whatever, rather than dance.)

secondly, i am NOT a doctoral student in dance. but i WAS doing a masters with dance as MY focus. i capitalise 'my' because of course it was not the DEGREE's focus. the degree was a 'master of performance improvement'. it was in the education faculty, so 'performance' doesn't refer to DANCE performance, but rather to HUMAN performance - at anything. my plan was to focus my own research, project, reading, etc, in dance - obviously!

i dropped it half way through, for various reasons, and plan to pick it up again at some point, if it's still available.

so i might have SOME common experience to share...maybe!

would like to talk, anyway... :)

:D I am conducting my research at London Contemporary Dance School (The Place), programmes are validated by the University of Kent. In the UK, there are many (relative!) possibilities for PG study at Master of Arts level, but only a few unis offer research degree in dance. There are, of course institutions, where you do a PhD in performance studies, etc. and focus on dance but this is slightly different as you will finally receive a PhD in Performance Studies and not in "Dance".

MA programmes mainly focus on performance and/or choreography though there are now some more exotic studies such as ballet studies (theory not practice), video for dance and design for dance.

I think even in the US, doctoral research in dance is limited to a few places... so there are only a few "true" dance scholars out there. I think most people come from a performance studies background, at least thats my impression when I read biographies of faculty members, but I suppose this is mainly due to the fact that PhD programmes in Dance are relatively new.

You can always PM me :( I am sure we have some experience to share, especially as my research is mainly concerned with ballet education.

Not as doctoral student - I finished my PhD about 10 years ago - but I've supervised dance PhDs - mostly dance history. You can keep in touch with the field and other doctoral students via Palatine or the practice-as-research project PARIP at Bristol University (annual conference with strong postgrad contingent & programme). SCODHE - the Standing Conference of Dance in Higher Education (website doesn't seem to be responding at the moment) is the subject association for dance academics and postgraduate students. They run an annual conference with SCUDD (Standing Conference of University Drama Departments). The next one is 18-20 March at University College Northampton. Here at Lancaster we run PhD and MPhil programmes which allow a practice-based research component equivalent to half of the dissertation - but broadly in theatre and contemporary performance, which can include dance - but we don't have a separate dance programme.

Hope this helps

Kate

In the US, most Ph.D. candidates that I've seen who show up looking for advice or source material from our archives are taking their Dance doctoral degrees from an historical or anthropological standpoint. Those studying for a Doctor of Fine Arts are more likely to be studying for a performance-driven program. Doctor of Education candidates are mostly studying how students learn. There are all sorts of doctorates out there, it just depends on what's available in your school, or what you want to do with it.

You are right Mel though I still make a difference between a DFA, DEd, etc. if the topic is dance based OR the degree qualification states finally Doctor of Philosophy in Dance. If your aim is to work in a dance department one is certainly better of with a PhD in Dance than another doctorate... suppose this is mainly due to the rather limited employment opportunities for Dance PhDs.

Not as doctoral student - I finished my PhD about 10 years ago - but I've supervised dance PhDs - mostly dance history. You can keep in touch with the field and other doctoral students via Palatine or the practice-as-research project PARIP at Bristol University (annual conference with strong postgrad contingent & programme). SCODHE - the Standing Conference of Dance in Higher Education (website doesn't seem to be responding at the moment) is the subject association for dance academics and postgraduate students. They run an annual conference with SCUDD (Standing Conference of University Drama Departments). The next one is 18-20 March at University College Northampton.  Here at Lancaster we run PhD and MPhil programmes which allow a practice-based research component equivalent to half of the dissertation - but broadly in theatre and contemporary performance, which can include dance - but we don't have a separate dance programme.

Hope this helps

Kate

Thanks for that Kate, I know PARIP as my MA was a complete Practice-as-Research (PAR) research degree. PAR seems to be VERY fashionable, at least the AHRB (Arts and Humanities Research Boards) appears to be more willing to give financial assitance to students undertaking PAR project.

I dont know SCUDD but will check out the website as soon as it runs again. Is this somehow linke to the journal "Research in Dance Education"?

Dance Scholar - I'm not sure about REsearch in Dance Education, but here's the SCODHE web address. The site just takes a long time to load.

Kate

my research is mainly concerned with ballet education.
dance scholar, this is MY main area of interest also. :D i am particularly interested in improving the training of ballet teachers.

i probably won't PM, because i like having the discussions in public. the posts and links above are a good example of the value of doing so: you never know what OTHER perspectives or information that other posters might 'chip in'.

... & also because i mustn't create yet another diversion for myself, from real-life! :shrug: