Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest meliss83

doctors comments on ballet...?

Guest meliss83

so i am seeing a doctor about my on going hip problem, and he doesn't have very much insight or knowledge about Ballet which he reminds me... but he told me that he thinks maybe i shouldn't dance ballet at all just because it's so bad for a person... and immediately i corrected him because though it is physically demanding and very difficult it isn't necessarily bad for you... is it? He said all the splits and stradals etc take a huge wear on the hips giving a person bad hips.. he said to do my research and see how many former dancers have hip problems.. is this true? It really disturbed me when he said it. Also, i would like to find an orthopedic or some type of doctor that works with ballet dancers and has an understanding of ballet related injuries and such, any advice on how to find one?? thanks!!

-melissa

Victoria Leigh

Melissa, contact an orthopedic surgeon immediately. You are in Philadelphia, so it should be very easy. Call the Pennsylvania Ballet and ask for their doctor! I'm sure The Rock School could also recommend a qualified orthopedic physician who has worked with dancers. The doctor you saw is totally clueless. :)

While there are some dancers who have had hip problems relatively young, they are NOT the majority of dancers at all. They are the ones, for the most part, who have had to push too hard for rotation, meaning they did not have enough natural rotation, or, they are they ones who just went too far anyway, overworking those rotators for "perfect" turnout. If ballet is taught properly there will not be a problem until one is quite old, and at that time a high percentage of the whole general population will have some joint problems and bone problems. Dancers are not the only ones who will have that in their old age. The benefits of ballet far outweigh the potential negatives, as long as one remains healthy and has good training.

Guest meliss83

thank you!! that makes me feel so better, i just could not imagine having to stop dancing! as soon as the holiday is over i will try both the pa ballet and the rock school. thanks again!! i just could not imagine having to stop dancing!

Henrik

Meliss - just want to say good luck - Ive been to quite a few doctors with my hip (had a surgery when I was 4), And many doctors dont know ANYTHING about ballet, they have just seen (or heard) the injuries from dancing! Im sure you can continue dancing! Good luck anyway!!

And merry Christmas :)

coffee

I also feel your pain. Except with me, I have to live with two of thoes doctors who like to constantly remind me of all the horrible evils ballet is doing to my body. They happen to be my parents. Its not fun. I can't complain about anything or else ballet is the first thing to go- even just tiny little fleeting thoughts that should'nt require any action...like..."ow my calves are sore today". Don't you love closed minded people?

Mel Johnson

Remember, doctors sometimes see only the symptom, and don't see the whole patient. The closer the doctor is to the patient, the more and more difficult it becomes to see the Big Picture. If auto mechanics took this approach, they'd be throwing themselves off cliffs in despair. (And some of them, I wish would!)

dufay

I'm a parent (pediatrician), so feel free to delete. I highly recommend Angela Smith M.D. at the King of Prussia CHOP Sports Medicine Clinic. She specializes in ballet and ice skaters. She had tremendous insight into my daughter's problem post ankle fracture- she speaks the language too.

Mel Johnson

Delete? Not on your life! :D

That's a great lead for meliss! Thanks, Dufay!

Guest meliss83

Dufay,

thank you so much!!! I really appreciate that recommendation. i know exactly where that is, i will call on monday and i'll let you know how everything goes!! thanks again!! i appreciate everyones concern and well wishes!! :D

-melissa

Guest meliss83

Dufay,

i have a question about that doctor. i have not called yet but you said she works with CHOP, i am wondering if i wil be allowed to see her since i am 20? I am wondering if i will be too old? if you know please let me know! thanks again!

-melissa

dufay

I don't think 20 would be too old- I think most departments at CHOP (Children's Hosp of Phila) take pts up to 21 yrs. Just call and ask. She is only at the King of Prussia office and some satellites, not the main (insane) office at CHOP.

I have heard "mixed reviews" about the orthopod that some members of the Rock go to. At any rate, Dr. Smith would probably have a lot more time to spend with you than one who does many other procedures (like replace hips, knees, etc).

marigold

I was recently was told by someone that Angela Smith has left her practice in King of Prussia and moved to Delaware. I think the person replacing her also has familiarity with dance, but we haven't seen them. I am sure the office will be able to guide you as to which doctor this would be. If I can learn the name, I'm happy to share it here. Dr. Smith was wonderful, agreed!

Victoria Leigh

Marigold, this topic is from '04! The original poster is not even a member any more. :wink:

marigold

LOL! Classic. Well, at least anyone looking at it will know where to find Angela Smith, MD now!

dancemaven

. . . and it is a Young Dancers Forum. . . .