Ballet Talk for Dancers

Back questions

Guest anymouse

Guest anymouse

I'm sorry if this is a redundant topic. From what posts that I read, my questions wasn't answered.

1. Where does one arch/bend the back during a cambre? Somebody told be that the arch should start very close to the base of the shoulder blades or in that approximate area. When I do them, my arch is much closer to base of my spine. I'm confused on this issue and don't want to cause myself any sort of injury since I've already injured my back from something else.

2. What are some good lower back stretches? This is probably an issue related to question 1. I can get a very good arch the way I do it, but then I can't stretch the back out the opposite way. This of course leads to discomfort and other issues. I can't do the stretch where you lie down on your back and bring your feet over your head. That is incredibly uncomfortable and painful. Again, that is probably caused by some odd technique of mine that should be corrected.

I apologize for the length of this message. Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance.

This sounds like a case for an orthopedist. If simply raising the feet over the head while lying on the back is actually painful, then there's something really wrong, and you need to have it looked at in order to prevent mobility problems down the line. And yes, a cambré back should start at a place below the shoulderblades, at about the place where the lowest rib meets the spine. The rest of the back can bend, too, but the curve starts from the top. But have that back checked. This doesn't sound good at all!

And welcome to the Young Dancers' Forums here at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online! Keep us posted on how this progresses.

Guest anymouse

It's not the back itself that hurts. Getting my feet over my head isn't an issue. I only have a 3-5" gap between my knees and the floor. The pain is concentrated at the base of the neck. I can't decide if that's from an old whiplash or because I've concentrated my weight on that particular spot. Hopefully that should clear up any misconceptions from my post. I wasn't that specific where the pain was, my fault. Thanks for the advice though. My other problem with that stretch is I don't feel anything stretching.

Since the cambre starts up a lot higher than I normally do, how do I increase the flexibility in that area? Or am I just utterly confused again. Should there be much at that point, or should the arch there be more minimal than in other areas? Are backbends and bridges a good thing to do to increase the arch in that area?

I'm sorry for all my questions. I've only recently started ballet again and only remember stretches and certain things I did in gymnastics. Since gymnastics resulted in whiplash, sprained ankles and wrists, a half-dozen face slams and a couple pairs of glasses, I was hoping ballet would be a safer activity. But old habits die incredibly hard, long, and painful deaths.

Again, I apologize for the length of my post. Thank-you for your comments. Do any of my newer comments change thoughts on the idea?

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Alert! Online, anymouse! :wacko:

Actually you need to think even higher. When you cambré back you are actually starting from the top of the forehead! The head goes up and over and back and the bend then proceeds down the spine, taking the chest back, which stretches the muscles in the front of the body. The bend should not go into the lower spine.