Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ljonesxoxo

Virginia School of the Arts

Ljonesxoxo

Hello everyone !

I was wondering if you could help me out. I am auditioning for the year round program for the Virginia School of the Arts a week from today. Im extremely nervous. I was wondering if any of you have any information about it. Is it hard to get into ? Any info would be appreciated ! :wink:

Tiffany

I have several friends who have been accepted and/or attend VSA. I think its a good school. I don't know how competitive it is to get in. You might consider attending their summer program, then you could see how you liked it. My friends have liked their summer program and year round program. Try to enjoy your audition! I have met David Keener, he does some of their auditions, and is very nice and teaches a fun class. :gossip:

Ljonesxoxo

thats good. was his class real challenging?

Tiffany

I think that every class is challenging in different ways to different people, so I can't really answer your question. I did enjoy his class and it was challenging but not the most challenging class I've ever had. :D

Guest Arak

Mmph. My studio sent three girls there. One left and went to North Carolina School of the Arts instead, and the other two came home after a semester and a year respectively. The one that left for NCSA is still there, but the two that came back to us both quit dancing completely. None of the three hold favorable opinions of VSA. One blames them for her chronic tendonitis. I'm not sure exactly what the NCSA girl didn't like. I never see her anymore, so I don't really have the opportunity to ask. Wish I did, so I could be a little more helpful.

pigtailgirl

Is it a good school? I've been thinking about it for yearround and would love any information :blushing:

e'smom

I can probably answer your questions about year round, or my daughter can. Ask away!

qtpiedanzer01

is year round expensive? what style is taught? what does your average day look like? do the kids have enough time to get there school work done?

e'smom

Ok, here are the facts:

Tuition: year round is slightly over 15,000 including room and board. There is also tuition charged by the public high school and it varies from year to year. This is actually one of the less expensive schools out there.

The style taught is primarily Royal as Petrus Bosman is the director, however, there are three ballet teachers and the style depends on the teacher. There are also frequent guest artists who usually stay for a week as well. There is a variety of repertoire and the Spring Gala included Balanchine's Serenade and the full length Carmen by Kirk Peterson of ABT.

Typical Day: Monday through Friday: School at E.C. Glass until 12:30 (5 classes although some seniors take only 4). Grades are given for dance classes and substitute for PE.

Lunch

1:45-3:15 - Ballet TEchnique or men's class

3:30-4:30 - Pointe, pas, variations, sometimes modern or jazz

4:45-6:00 - modern, jazz body conditioning, exploratory arts, rep or rehearsals

Dinner

6:45-8:15 - RehearsalsMonday, Tuesday and Thursday as scheduled

Wednesday nights are free (the van goes to Walmart) as well as Friday night.

Sat

10:-11:30 Ballet Technique

11:30 - 12:45 Rehearsals

Lunch

1:30 -3:30 Rehearsals

No class on Sunday

On the weekends students go to the movies, mall, coffee house, etc. and the RAs will transport them. Cars are allowed for seniors only and very few parents allow it.

Keep in mind that the lower levels will not have as much rehearsal; there are four levels 2-5. There is usually plenty of time to get the homework done, although during tech week before a performance it can be difficult. For group projects at school the VSA students try to be placed in a group together. Finals week for both semesters falls after the winter and spring performances and the dance schedules are lighter. Hope this answers your questions.

pigtailgirl

Oh wow, that was very helpful; Thankyou.. Do you know how many days a week is point held? About how many people attend the school? Thanks :P

e'smom

There are about 50 students, including a few day students who do not board. I will ask my daughter about the number of pointe classes as I am not sure.

werlkj

Jeff Rogers, recently retired principal from Ballet West, is guest teaching for a couple days at my DK's studio, and will be teaching at VSA starting this Fall. I watched him teach two classes yesterday and he seems to be a brilliant, naturally gifted teacher. In fact, my DS ranks him as one of the top 2-3 teachers he's ever had--inspiring, dynamic, really tough, great use of metaphors used as teaching aids, gave even the least of the students a personal correction, constant group corrections, and clearly loves teaching. He ran over in all his classes and the DKs all left the class dripping and exhausted, yet exhilarated. Everyone was thrilled with his class and left the studio chattering about the experience. Our studio regularly brings in guest teachers, and they've had some really good ones, so this experience sticks out as being special.

He's going to be teaching at VSA--primarily the men's program, I believe--though he believes he'll be teaching other classes too. I understand he taught there this past summer. I have read only one comment, which was made by a young student on another board. It particularly singled out his teaching of partnering classes. I do know his training was exemplary--he says "RAD-training primarily" and then was a scholarship student at SAB his final couple of years. I'm familiar with his dancing, which was always very, very clean.

I'm a believer in choosing a good teacher over a "name" program, so now I'm curious: What can any parents tell me about VSA's current program this year, primarily the SI? Teachers? Classes? If anyone has any recent info about the 2003-2004 residency program, I'd like to hear that too. Many of these programs seem to go through enough changes every 3-4 years, so I'm not much interested in old info.

Edited by werlkj

Clara 76

Hello Werlkj,

In case you don't have their website here it is: VSA

They have a very good reputation and seem very professional when they come to Columbus to do their audition for their SI. The school is run by David Keener who is very nice. I have not heard anything negative at all about their program, and we've had several of our students attend their SI. They seem to be about 50/50 with about half their grads going to college and the other half going onto professional careers. Look at their alumni page-it's impressive.

Call the school to set up an audition and if he's accepted, be sure to let them know that you are coming specifically to study with that particular teacher, because I don't know what level he'll be teaching, or if he'll be working with all students.

Good Luck!

Clara 76 :)

KayP

I am also interested in this school. Although I will be a senior next year, so I'm not sure how well it would work out.

A couple of questions...

*How close are the dorms to VSA? To the High school?

*How many people are in a class? (if there are 50 people and 4 levels, that's only about 12 people in each class!! That would be great! or do levels take class together?)

*How are the dorm rooms? Do they have bathrooms? Computers? How many people per room?

*What are the studios like? How many are there?

Thanks! Any other information would be helpful! :flowers:

Tiffany

I was an RA at VSA this summer. The dorms are about 3 blocks, definitely walking distance, from VSA. E C Glass is about 10-15 minutes drive away from the dorms. The dorm that I stayed in housed 2-4 girls per room, depending on room size, and there were 6 girls for one bathroom on the first floor and about 3-4 girls per bathroom on the 2nd floor. All dorm rooms had phone lines, which would allow dial up internet. During the school year they try to only put 3 girls in the rooms that hold 4 for summer. The studios are great. There are 2 small studios and 2 large studios in the main building and 1 large studio in one of the dorms. I don't know anything about how large/small year round classes are.

The director of student services (i'm not sure if that's her exact title) is very easy to talk to, Susan Anderson, so definitely give her a call about your questions.