Ballet Talk for Dancers

upset

cececinderella

hi!

okay i want some advice, because i'm 16 years old (a junior in high school) and i've been dancing for around 4 years. i decided i wanted to start ballet at that time, and my mom's friend's daughter was at a dance place so i started there. my first year and a half, i didn't really receive the full training i wanted (it was a more jazz focused studio, and we ended up only learning how to do a plie and then sat around a lot), so i left and i went to my sister's friend's studio. which was a little better, but not very serious training (our teacher was a broadway dancer and a previous rockette). i stayed there for a year and a half as well, and then ended up leaving ballet for 6 months because i was so dissatisfied and i didn't know where to get a good teacher.

I ended starting this july at diff. ballet, which is a good 30 minute drive, which my teacher is a russian ballet teacher and i love her to pieces. but i'm still not sure whether to go to Ballet Pacifica or not yet. i've been on and off pointe for two years (don't worry, my russian teacher says i'm good), and right now i take 3 hour, and a half classes a week. (at level 4, there's 5 different levels).

She told me I had a lot of "potential" I'm wondering at my age if i should be taking more, (daily? even though my parents have to sit in the car and wait) i only have another year left and because I don't feel like I'm doing enough, since most of my years in ballet were wasted. and plus, there's so many gaps in my training, and i feel like i'm such a SLOW learner and i can never memorize the combinations quickly enough, I don't have the strength, stamina, how do you get the endurance? I've been trying really hard for 6 months now, i know it will come in time. but i feel like i fail a lot because i'm afraid to ask stupid questions, and i get stage fright when i have to perform by myself in class. (i'm so self-concious, i just want to do well!) i never seem to get everything right, it's such a daily struggle. Plus there's only one other girl my age, at the WHOLE studio and everyone else is at least 3 years younger. i know another girl who baton throws at my studio and i guess that would help with rhthym as well. (which i have having trouble in) I learn SO slow, i'm usually the last one to get something! and when my teacher tells me i'm not concentrating enough, i concentrate too much (to get something "perfect") you know? but when i do i just mess up even more. i can't get the WHOLE thing perfect. and then i just fall apart at my mistakes. :wink: I love ballet though, and I'm wondering if you can give me any advice to overcome these things, and whether or not you believe i could try out for a Summer Intensive (i really want to!) this year or next (since i'm going to be graduating) if i work really hard?

Edited by cececinderella
  • Administrators

CeCe, a lot of really tough questions there, and they are really hard to answer. Obviously you have not had enough "real" training to qualify for an SI at the level that would be expected of a 16 year old. It would probably be best to find a way to take intensive classes locally this year, but you will need more than 3 times a week. Yes, you should be having daily classes, technique and pointe.

The other problems you talk about are due to lack of knowledge and training, which creates a lack of confidence. You can't expect to have a lot of confidence with the little training you have had. It will take a lot of time and a lot of hard work. And patience. Start by stopping the "I am a slow learner" thing. That is a focus and concentration problem and can be corrected. But you must approach every class with a very positive attitude, and not allow mistakes to destroy that. Learn from them and carry on. Put your energy into positive work, not into getting upset with yourself. That is a total waste of time. :wink:

okay thanks!

do you have any suggestions technique wise too? i just get so afraid when i get something right, that the only place i can go is down. but thanks. i know i have to get out of that mind set!!

do you think i should talk to my teacher about this, because she might have some suggestions? (i'm scared of her) the main problem is though, my parents, plus school work on top of that, and my parents spend half an hour taking me there, they have to wait there for 1 1/2 hours and then spend another half hour taking me home. i don't feel like they want to give up 2 and a half hours each school day, plus with taking me to school and picking me up. my mom works 2 jobs and she's always swamped and my dad travels a lot so he can't take me. i might be getting my license in march but that seems so far away, especially since the year is almost over. i might be able to do 3 weekday classes and 2 classes on sat/sun, but i don't like the teacher for those days at all.

thank you so much :P

Edited by cececinderella
  • Administrators

cece, I think the best thing is to talk to your teachers. I can't give you technical advice without seeing you, unless of course there is a specific question about how to do a certain step or movement.

• 1 month later...
Guest petiteanise

Cece, don't fret. I'm the same way. I get so stressed out about trying to be the best in class that I end up making myself physically sick with stressing out, I have to take medications for alot of stuff. I once read somewhere that the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to other dancers in class. You get so obsessed with worrying about how much better they did it then you that your dancing suffers. Good luck! and if you ever want a sympathetic ear just post a message!

Guest Until The End Of Time

Can I give advice?

In life I learned be yourself, I know everyone says that, but its the truth. Only you can achieve what you want in this life. If you are going to worry about this girl or that boy or anyone, then you won't really get anywhere near where you want to be, so worry about yourself and get the help you need to get where you want to be. Then after all that hardwork and time, sooner or later you are where you always wanted to be.

• 1 month later...