Ballet Talk for Dancers

Indecision.

violet

I have doubts about starting ballet. First, I'm 15, and I've never took ballet lessons before.

Since ballet takes so much time, money, and energy, I wonder if it would be worth it.

I want to become a professional ballet dancer, I know it is unlikey that would ever happen due to my age, but that is what I want. I could settle for other forms of dance, like dancing in musicals, but my primary interest is ballet.

Is it possible to live out my dreams of becoming a ballerina?

• Administrators

Hello Violet, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum here on Ballet Alert! Online :D

We do have some teenage beginners here, so perhaps you can get some encouragement from them. It's never too late to start, and it's a wonderful thing to do for yourself. Starting at 15 it's quite difficult to become a professional dancer in classical ballet, but, it's not unheard of either. You would have to get a great deal of very, very good and very, very intensive training, and, you would have to have an exceptionally good facility for ballet and a lot of talent. But, there is no way to know unless you try! So, start your classes and see where it goes. :thumbsup:

Guest devion101

Hey Violet!

I know exactly how you feel because I started ballet when I was fourteen and was at the very bottom of the scale in terms of ability. I really want to become a professional ballet dancer, and am gradually catching up with my age level. Thanks to an exceptional ballet facility (except the feet) and an intensive summer program, I have advanced more than I ever dreamed possible. So, hang in there, work your butt off (literally and figuratively in some cases! :D ) and don't compare yourself to other dancers (that nearly destroyed all my hopes). I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers,

Devion

I didn't start very late compared to some, but when I started (at 11), everyone I knew had been dancing since they were three!!! I started in a group of 6 and 7 year olds, but I moved up two levels at once after that semester. That put me in a very advanced class, and I actually got help outside of class from an older friend in the same class. I can't tell how grateful I am to her. 3 years later I am in the second highest level of our school, just starting pointe work. It took A LOT of effort and determination, especially since I don't have the best ballet body. I've just recently been told I have nice feet, but that's the extent of it.

If you've never taken a class before, I think you should at least try it. It can't hurt. And if you do decide to continue dancing after that, dancing professional is still a possibility. It would be difficult, but I definitely wouldn't rule it out. Ballet is a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Guest xellex

like nike says, just do it. you'll be so happy that you did. it's great fun and really good exercise. i'm 16 and i started about three months ago. at an older age, the best thing to do is look for adult classes that teens can join. that's what my studio offers. i do take some after school classes with little kids but they're fun to be around so it's ok.

the best of luck to you!

-elle

I think I will try out ballet, what have I got to lose? Even if I don't become a professional, it still would be fun and beneficial. I'll have to work hard but I am willing.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

violet