Ballet Talk for Dancers

Arches

Guest bubblewrapgopop

Guest bubblewrapgopop

Hey ya'll

When i do jumps and stuff like that the part in my foot right above my arches hurts a little, is that ok? I was just wondering because i didn't want it to turn into something bad. :D i dont know, any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

~Rebecca~

• Administrators

Hello Rebecca, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert! Online :D

When you speak of "...the part just above my arches...", are you talking about the instep? In any case, pain is an indication that something is not right. If you have been dancing 11 years, (as you said in your introduction), I'm sure you have had a few things happen by now. You are old enough to begin to know the difference between a bit of strain or "aggravation", and an injury. Can you still jump? Can you relevé on point on that foot with consecutive relevés? If so, it is probably not very serious. However, if it is restricting your ability to do certain things, then it must be dealt with as an injury. Get to an orthopedic surgeon who has experience with dancers and find out what is wrong and what to do about it.

Guest bubblewrapgopop

Yes i ment instep, sorry, i just couldn't think of the word. but it just hurts after a class when we have done alot of jumps or releve's. and it dosen't really effect what i do durring the class, it's just afterwards it's really sore. Thanks!

~Rebecca~

• Administrators

Start by icing it after class. But the main thing is to figure out what is causing it to hurt after the classes. It is most likely something you are doing in the work, so check with your teacher to see if there is some overwork of that foot, sickling, overpointing, too much weight on one foot over the other, or whatever. She might be able to determine what is wrong.