Ballet Talk for Dancers

Fouette turns

Guest Daniella64

Guest Daniella64

I have a hard time executing multiple fouette turns and i believe it has alot to do with the way i am swinging my leg or holding my body or something. Is it better to practice them at 90 degrees or lower? I am in int. advanced, working up to advanced ballet for next semester and we only are doing fouettes at the barre so far, and I have only tried them when I take advanced classes, but I cant do them, and because im not in the level yet, the teacher cant explain. I would just like to be able to do them by the end of the winter, at least 8.... b/c i was late starting ballet, and I noticed most of the girls in my level can do at least a few. any and all advice would be great! I really need help with these!! Thanks in advance!

Important question #1 - Can you do a clean double pirouette practically every time you try one?

Terrific! Now that gives us a place to start! :)

Take the retiré position that you use for pirouettes, and extend the leg to à la seconde from there without raising or lowering the working knee. That's the height of the leg that you use for fouettés rond de jambe en tournant! Make sure that you have a firm and secure fondu (demi-plié on one leg) when you do the developpé to the front, and that you don't STAMP the heel down inbetween-that knocks an awful lot of dancers off-balance and they can't continue a series of turns very long like that. (You'll actually jar your spot loose, no joke!) Also, be sure that you're not carrying the leg too far to seconde in the rond de jambe. If it gets in back of where you can control it, you're in trouble! Anxiety over fouettés often has students tilting their heads in the direction of the turn - watch out for that. Straight and level for the head in spotting, it just goes around, not slantwise! Whew! That's a starting list of things to look out for. Does anything sound familiar?

Guest Daniella64

THanks! I think I may be tilting my head and its possible I am doing too high of an a la seconed, but what I have the most trouble with is where exactly you leg goes between each turn. Does it do a demi grand ronde de jambe from front to side? or go directly from pase to a la seconed?

There are two ways of doing this step, and they're both absolutely correct for their particular schools and methods. As a matter of fact, I wish that dancers would learn both ways, so that they can be "convertibles", if necessary, for the sake of style. The "Italian" way is to open to the front, and rond de jambe to seconde, then fouetté to retiré. The "Russian" way is to open to seconde, and just keep going from seconde to retiré. Check with your teacher as to which ones your school uses.