Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
balletmomoftwo

Changing Schools; switching programs

DancesInHerSleep

Unfortunately we didn't leave the studio. A medical family emergency had me traveling between the east coast and the west coast for over a year. We decided, since I was spending so much time away from home that it was best to keep as much normalcy in DD's life as possible, which included keeping her with her friends at the studio.

There were ups and downs all year long, but so far, I'm even less impressed this year than I was last year.

Tuesday

It seems like in the case of our studio, the director's stress is brought on by her inability to say no to parents, and her lack of consistency in her policies for casting and determining levels.

While the studio claims affiliation with a local regional (small) ballet company, the AD owns the studio outright and does not answer to the ballet company in any way. The studio is essentially a pool where the company can find many children to fill out their casts, and that is it. The company rehearses there maybe three times per year, I think, when they are in town for a production, as the ballet company is split between two cities and resides in the other one.

If the ballet studio was still owned by the AD of the ballet company as it was when I was studying there as a kid, things would be much different.

Popballet--I have read the thread and see why venting at the studio is not the way to go. Thanks for the sound advice.

popballet

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I can't say that I think things will get better. Our school got worse each year until the director left. As with any institution, everything flows from the top, and it is essential to have a strong, smart leader. Hopefully you will both be able make a change soon! Good luck and keep us posted. :)

topazio

This an interesting thread and I'm getting feelings of deja vu. We left a situation in Oregon a year ago that sounds similar to this one. Although we left because of another reason, job change, it seemed that the studio my dd danced at was getting ready to experience some major changes. We didn't have to be a part of it, thank God, and have settled into a new studio just fine. Good luck, studio owners are nortorious for not wanting interference from parents. Is the studio moving to a new location in the near future? May I suggest a mellow Napa valley Cab as a temporary solution? :blink:

DancesInHerSleep

oooh oooh ooooh!

I can't wait until you have PM privileges because I think I know who you are!

:wub:

topazio

Only 5 more posts to go! Aren't surprises great?