Ballet Talk for Dancers

SAB, What do they look for?

Guest A224me12

Guest A224me12

Hi everyone, on Febuary 6th I am planning on auditioning at SAB to take their summer program.I do have full confidence in myself, but its my first time auditioning at a big place like that :shrug: .So could someone tell me somewhat of what they look for.Thanks :o

Long legs, arms, and neck, short torso, little head, well-arched strong feet, fine-boned appearance, will show up twice a day, able to dance would be nice. :shrug:

And welcome to the Young Dancers Forums here at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online! :o

Guest A224me12

I am kind of short but have long legs and arms for my body do I still have a chance? Because I have a friend whos 14 and got in to the SAB summer course, she's about the size of me.So I thought well if she can get in so can I. Thanks for replying! :wink:

I am kind of short but have long legs and arms for my body do I still have a chance?

Yup. (How's that for the Gary Cooper School of Ballet?)

• Administrators

Height at age 14 is not as important as proportions and body type, and of course let's not forget technique! Good training and talent, along with the gifts of good rotation, flexibility, and good feet are the things that all of the SI programs look for. They don't necessarily expect everyone to have everything, but the potential for a dancer should be quite visible at age 14.

Only one sentence up thar ends with a question mark. The answer to that one is "Nope".

Jeez, when Cooper would say that sort of thing, it sounded strong and silent. On me, it just sounds grumpy! Oh well, that's star power for ya! :D

Guest RachelsDream

I have been to SAB for the past two summers without that extreme turnout - this has not been a problem for me. While SAB does have a "look" that they look for I don't believe it is a cookie cutter thing - my head is not huge but it's not exactly small either. After all, you never know what can happen unless you try!

Mel,

I wonder how many 13-16 year olds on this board are saying to themselves, "Where is the Gary Cooper School of Ballet?I never heard of it!" :o:thumbsup:

It's in the movie "High Noon". Gary Cooper plays a sheriff of a western town faced with a showdown, and people make long, windy speeches to him, and his usual answer is "Yup" or "Nope."

Guest A224me12

Well this is me small body long legs long neck about 68-70 pounds strong leg muscles.I try and work with my thero band every day and take about 5 classes a week. Both my teachers where with the NYCB.I can get my left leg to the back at 100 dergease and 90 to the side and like 70 to the front with my right about 90 to the back 100 to the side and 90 to the front. I do struggle with my arms a little though. and I dont have hyper extended legs. Sound ok? :unsure: