Ballet Talk for Dancers

Italian Fouette?

Guest nicoal

We've been practicing this a lot, of late. I'm not sure if it's the correct terminology, the teacher primarily teaches Cecchetti but sometimes will show different styles. We were first taught this as part of the Corsaire variation. In case this is called something else, we start croisee tendu devant, tombe to fondu developpe a la seconde ecarte, brush through to battement devant facing the back corner then fouette releve attitude derriere croisee. Whew.

I'm having a horrible time getting from a la second ecarte to brush through first to reach battement devant to the back corner. A lot of times, I end up only making about 1/3 turn instead of 1/2 so I am facing the left wall (assuming right leg is working, left [working] supporting) which makes it extremely arduous to fouette around to the proper attitude croisee. I'm hyperextended, very flexible and fairly tall - sometimes I have a bit of trouble controlling my limbs :D . My body configuration also has given me very flexible ankles, which are pretty, but not terribly strong. I wondering if there's something obvious that I'm not focusing on, the teacher is a bit mystified as well why I'm having a tough time transitioning to that position properly. I have this problem on flat and pointe.

Are you doing a bit of a promenade in fondu to arrive in the position before passing through first? What is initiating the turn? I'd appreciate any tips as I'm afraid it's become a theme for our current classes. :wink:

Guest piccolo

The momentum for the turn starts as you go from tendu croise to developpe ecarte front. That's 1/4 of a turn right there, as long as your hips are facing the correct diagonals. Then as your leg lowers (and let's face it, there's a lot of weight in your leg to help with momentum) your arms and back mucles must come to a strong first position so that your hips & upper body don't twist. (If your upper body and lower body aren't working together, all is lost.) Hold your back strongly until your hips have made the next 1/4 turn -- voila, you are now facing the back corner.

You say you're flexible, so make sure you aren't twisting and that your hips are working correctly.

I have never heard them called that, although she certainly would have done them, as Maestro Cecchetti was her personal coach/instructor.

piccolo,

A-ha, this could be it. Sometimes my upper body feels like a noodle working independently from my legs :P . I know I'm lucky to have extension, but I sure get jealous of the more strongly built body types that seem to move as one unit a little more naturally! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try it in my next class. :)

And of course, once you're facing that back corner, then you fouetté to the attitude croisée, making this one of the grands fouettés en tournant en dedans.