Ballet Talk for Dancers

Fouettés

Guest brown-eyed-girl

Guest brown-eyed-girl

I know there have been a few entries on fouettes already, but everyone posting them seems to be able to do them to some extent. I, on the other hand, can't manage to do more than three or four not-so-great fouettes and that's on flat. It is so embarassing to try fouettes in class :P , not to mention frustrating. I have really been struggling with them and I think my main problem is that I'm not controling my center. In addition, my fouettes are not very turned out, not coordinated and I move all over the place whith each plie (sp?). I have been working on strenghtening what my teacher calls "transversus abdominus"(now I know I didn't spell that right)which are some kind of tummy muscles, and he says that mine is weak and is hurting my fouettes. I was just wondering if any one else has or had this problem and maybe has some suggestions--I could really use the help. :)

Edited by brown-eyed-girl

At what level are you? I mean on a scale of all dancers. Are you a high intermediate in a professional program? If not, don't worry. Practice, practice, practice. Fouettés in long series are only tricks and depend a lot on the ability of the dancer to hold the torso firmly, and to be able to do relevé after relevé without hopping out of place or losing the spot.

Guest brown-eyed-girl

I go to a very professional-oriented school, and I am in level 5 out of 7. Level 7 is actually the professional division, in which you are a member of the company. Students are often in levels 5 and 6 for a couple of years, and this is my first year in level five. Many, if not all of my classmates can do better fouettes, some really well and others close to me--- still, I feel like I am the worst at fouettes (not at everything- hopefully! :) haha).

And you're 14? Fine - relax, you've got plenty of time to work on them. Now remember we worked a bit on nerves in pirouettes. If you have nerves and fall out of pirouettes, it just gets worse when you try a series of fouettés. Your pirouettes have to be very secure in order successfully to do good fouettés, and you have a history of turning problems. Take it easy! Remember - NO FEAR.

Guest brown-eyed-girl

Thank you. That makes me feel much better. I do start to worry about my age and whether I am progressing as quickly as I should. I have to say that the advice that I have gotten from this site has helped me to focus on specific goals in class (like the pirouettes, which I have been working on) and has helped me feel more confident about my dancing--and my ability to work hard and improve. :D I'll keep working on pirouettes and hopefully the fouettes will follow!

• Administrators

And while you're working, check the spelling of the step you are working on :D I corrected it in the title of this topic.

Guest brown-eyed-girl

Today in class my teacher gave us a combination with fouettes in it. He told us to practice so I tried a few. To my surprise I did about 5 perfect fouettes and then as I realized what I was doing, I hit the flinch point. I was so excited that I had made some progress even though when I actually did the combination across the floor I tensed up- and I couldn't spot or transfer the leg from the front to the side. :yucky: BUT what I learned from this is that I CAN do fouettes if I can just relax a bit. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it. :devil:

Splendid! Now you have reached a point of realization! This is a major event, and will proceed eventually to actualization, where you can feel your body doing the right things to get you to do the fouettés that you want! :yucky: This is almost like kendo! (I just finished watching "Rurouni Kenshin")