Ballet Talk for Dancers

My turnout feels funny...

Guest EnPointeForLife

Guest EnPointeForLife

When I sit down on the floor in the butterfly position and straighten my legs as turned out as possible, it feels like some weird muscle twisting or popping...something like that. It only happens every once in a while...what is it?

• Administrators

Christal, that question is really impossible to answer, as I have no idea what you are talking about. First, in the butterfly, the legs are bent. When you straighten them, WHICH muscle is the problem? Where is the pain, or the twisting/popping, or whatever? When does it happen? You are just going to have to be a lot more specific in your description of the difficulty.

Guest EnPointeForLife

Well, my teacher has us to sit in the butterfly position and flex our feet. She says this keeps you from sickling your foot. When I do this I'm comfortable, but when she says to straighted our legs straight out in front of us and let our feet remain flexed, I feel a muscle in my inner thigh pop or twist. The muscle is closer to my knee. I'm not sure what muscle it is, but it doesn't feel very normal. It only happens during that exercise and when I plie and push my knees as far as I can over my toes. I think that's as well as I can describe it...is that good enough? :)

• Administrators

Well, it could be a couple of different things, including an adductor muscle or even one of the ligaments of the knee. In any case, when that happens, if it hurts, don't do it! It's probably from pushing your rotation more than your hips can accomodate. Try it with slightly relaxing the amount of rotation and see if that makes a difference.