Ballet Talk for Dancers

Straddle (center split)

Guest EnPointeForLife

Guest EnPointeForLife

I was trying to learn how to do a center split since I am really awful in it. I finally got pretty far down, but after a while, it started to hurt my knees. It didn't just hurt when I did it, but it was hurting when I walked too so I decided to stop. Why did it hurt and does that mean I can't ever learn how to do a center split? :sweating:

Dear, you've posted 18 times today! We generally recommend new members to try to limit themselves to about 10. Ease back a little, and try to look around the site to see how all the little bells and whistles work. You don't have to post to do that! :sweating:

Guest EnPointeForLife

My center split is still awful! And it hurts my knees really bad. When I look at my legs (facing the mirror) during a center split, I can tell that my legs don't seem naturally straight. What I mean is that when I do it, the shape of my legs concave in at my knee and my knees are straight! I don't know whether I should stop trying to learn it altogether or build strength in some area. What should I do?

Along the same lines, what is the proper/safest way to move into the straddle position? I would think that one should stand with feet turned out and slowly slide them out away from the body and stop when a stretch is felt. Should the barre be used for support or would it be better to lean forward and use the floor for support?

• Administrators

First, if your knees hurt when doing something, DON'T DO IT! In your case, Christal, it sounds like your legs are very hyperextended, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it does take learning how to work with it and control it. The knees are more vulnerable to injury.

As for how to get into that split, I prefer doing it from a sitting position, using your hands on the floor and pushing the legs out. Only go as far as you can maintain the rotation. If there is pain, stop. A little pull or stretch is one thing, pain is another. You do have to learn to tell the difference. :blink:

I've been stretching my center splits by putting my legs up a wall and letting them open out to the sides, and I'm starting to notice some knee pain in that position. What on earth can be causing that?

Try Ms. Leigh's method. It sounds like your rotation is good, but the inverted position puts a strain on the knee that it was never intended to bear. Gravity suddenly coming from the wrong direction can give us all some terrible surprises. :)

EnPointeForLife, just read the post made my Victoria Leigh -Ms. Leigh. Voila - you now know Ms. Leigh's method! =)

I only do my splits AFTER the actual ballet class when I'm already warmed up and my muscles feel 'soft'. Long ago, when I kept attempting to sit into a split before the lesson, not only my legs hurt a LOT the next day but it also felt very uncomfortable to try and stretch the hard, tight muscles I tend to have before the class.

Sure, warming up and stretching before the class is necesarry, but be careful with your legs - they're pretty important for dance!