Ballet Talk for Dancers

dance expression

Marjolein

I'm not sure i can ask this as it is not strictly ballet related. I'm auditioning for a dance academy in March for their musical theatre department. Part of the audition is a dance test, including ballet, jazz and dance expression. I know ballet and jazz won't be a problem, but the dance expression will. Is there any way i can practice for this part of the audtion?

Dance expression? Sounds like "can you dance while making funny faces at the auditioners?". I have no idea what that even is! Anybody got experience with this term?

• Administrators

Marjolein, could dance expression be something like creative dance, or improvisation? In other words, will you be expected to listen to music and just dance? If so, you can practice that by getting in the studio alone, play a little bit of all differernt kinds of music and just start moving with each one. Don't try too hard to "choreograph", just let the music tell you how to move. I would think you could use almost any dance form with this, just as long as it is what you feel is the right type of movement for the music.

Yes, it's just listening to music and dancing, improvisation. It's very important that we show our feelings in our dance. they also sometimes put on music and tell us which feeling to express. It's to find out how well we can express feelings in dance, as that is very important in musical theatre.