Ballet Talk for Dancers

"The Company" (movie)

Guest twinkletoad5000

Guest twinkletoad5000

I saw The Company last weekend in Houston. It was wonderful, and the dancing was awsome! :yucky: It really dosen't have a story line, but instead it shows the lives of professional dancers, and the life of a ballet company (Joffry Ballet). I would highly recomend this movie to anyone...that is if you don't mind that it has no storyline. :devil:

Life doesn't have a storyline, does it? That's part of the beauty of the way Robert Altman can put a film together. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation; there's a lot of work went into the making of the film, and a lot of emotional capital tied up in it from us old Joffreyites! :devil:

(psst. :yucky: Why there might even have been a couple of Ballet Talkers involved in it! :(

Guest russianptaylor

I saw the movie in California and absolutely loved it. I saw it right after it came out. I loved the movie because it did not have a storyline and I loved the dancing. I liked how they showed the real world of dance.

~russianptaylor~

Edited by russianptaylor

I'm glad everyone is liking it so much! I feel especially close, because the Joffrey is "my" company...I've danced with them (in fact, in the exact studio that's in the movie!) and we've had master classes from some of the dancers, plus we go see all their shows.

I wish I could say that I was one of those BalletAlerters in the movie, but we already had Riverdance tickets for the same night as when they filmed the scene in the rainstorm, which was just 'show up in raingear and see a nice Joffrey performance"

Guest russianptaylor

That is so cool, I am sure you knew some of the dancers and I hope you enjoyed Riverdance. I saw Riverdance too a while back. Back to the subject, the movie was great

Edited by russianptaylor

I do, in fact, know many of the dancers, at least by name...I don't actually have weekly dinner with them or anything. We run into them at the dance store sometimes, and, like I said, I've had master classes from a few. Pierre Lockett (in the movie, he plays one of the ballet masters, the one who's teaching the dance with the white skirt/pants thing) was even on faculty at our school for about a year, teaching us one a week. He did that exact dance at our "Faculty Concert" It's beautiful when you actually get to see the whole thing!

As a side note, also, Riverdance is one of my favorites. I've seen it 4 times live, and countless times on video!

Guest thedancingpeach

I can sympathize with you, dancingostrich, as I don't think it has come out in MD either. I haven't seen posters for it anywhere, except in Dance Magazine, where it said the film was coming out on Christmas. Maybe it will come out on video soon, and I'll be able to see it.

They're playing very cagey with it, in limited release, like an art film.

It hasn't been released in Australia yet. I believe its coming out in around April. I can't wait to see it. I've read some mixed reviews about it. Mr. Johnson, or anyone else, do you know why it is a limited release?

It's a marketing scheme to get the film seen in all venues -- eventually. It keeps up the "buzz" over the show, and the reviews that are in the journals that "count" have been mostly very positive. It's just frustrating for me to have the movie within reach, but only after an hour+ drive and a river crossing. It still hasn't hit the west side of the Hudson River!!! :)